• Deleteduserrc
    New way to listen to music : you begin by getting rich and building a big house. The house has a central living space with other sections radiating out. Each of these other sections had been modeled after a past place youve lived, painstakingly constructed to be identical to the original, to the point wheres theres even a slight disarray, just as there would have been on any given day.

Also this is the future, so theres a playlist generator that isnt simply algorithmic but is somehow in sync with your psyche. You begin in the central room. it always starts with a kind of overture on the central speakers, then the next song will play in another distant section - you hear it muffled, and at a slight remove. And so on. Sometimes multiple songs play in different sections. If you decide to get up and go to the section the song is playing it, it fades as you approach, and a new song starts in another section. And so on. As the years go by you get closer to hearing some songs in their immediacy, while grow farther from hearing others. Eventually you leave the house and before you do you play a playlist one last time. Each room and song you have come to peace with seems to move into the central room, until (almost) the whole house seems fully present in its center.

Then you leave, someone buys the house, moves in, and everything is good except there are certain rooms - the rooms you left out - which seem inhabited, somehow, and thats what ghosts are.
  • frank
    There's a room where I'm playing chess with my brother and we're listening to Led Zeppelin. I go there sometimes.
  • Drazjan
    I detect the contemporary assumption that music equals "songs." Any room for instrumentals, tunes, improvs?
  • Deleteduserrc
    There *should* be and my whole idea is pretty solipsistic. Yes, definitely, to answer your question, only I don't know how to fit it in to my man alone with his life scheme
  • Deleteduserrc
    There's a room where I'm playing chess with my brother and we're listening to Led Zeppelin. I go there sometimes.frank

I envy that. I wish there was a little more room for other people in my image. I always got nervous if my brother tried to draw close. I still do.
  • Drazjan
    "Solipsistic," great word. It sent me running for my dictionary, figuratively speaking. Its always a great day when you learn a new word.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.