• Nmann
    Hi, I'd really love help finding two books. One is The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, it was very vividly Illustrated and in black and white, it was a smaller hardcover. The drawings were very detailed, I'd love to see the images again if not buy the book. As well as a book about Merlin and King Arthur, I can't remember the title. I remember one story being where he brings either sister or wife into the bedroom and has all of the housekeepers remove everything, and tells her to remember it exactly as it were only to turn the lights on... An expression of freedom of thinking. As well as the town's folk thinking that Merlin was rather a crackpot. His magic was in his vitality and life rather than spells. Any help is appreciated! They are rather old books, my library discarded them and I read them ten years ago.
  • PoeticUniverse
    One is The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, it was very vividly Illustrated and in black and white, it was a smaller hardcover.Nmann

Probably illustrated by Edmund Sullivan, but there could be alternatives, although his was very popular and he illustrated 75 quatrains. See below, and let me. know if that is the one.

It so happens that I colorized it:

I also wrote a sequel, illustrated Omar's Rubaiyat, and more… if you want to see.
  • Nmann
    the page on the left at 1:17 is very similar to the art style, but this isn't it... Gorgeous though!
  • Nmann
    I didn't think to search vintage. Thanks!
  • PoeticUniverse
    Gorgeous though!Nmann

OK, not Sullivan. Maybe Elihu Vedder, one of the earliest illustrators, using chalk, I think. I have a 5x8 size book of it. It was also the basis of a limited edition of only two that were very expensive, called the 'Great Omar'. I happened to have retrieved the one that went down on the Titanic:

I added a bit of yellow to the b/w.

The second copy was destroyed in WWII, but the jewels were used for a third one which now sits in the British Museum.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.