• BC
    The smartest dog on earth, the border collie "Chaser" is dead is dead at 15 years. Dr. John W. Pilley, a professor emeritus of psychology at Wofford College who taught Chaser over 1000 nouns, died last year at 89. More here.

Chaser learned to identify 1000 objects (fuzzy toys mostly) by name. Chaser was not unique. “What we would really like people to understand about Chaser is that she is not unique,” Ms. Bianchi [one of Dr. Pilley's daughters] said. “It’s the way she was taught that is unique. We believed that my father tapped into something that was very simple: He taught Chaser a concept which he believed worked infinitely greater than learning a hundred behaviors.”

In 2013, Dr. Pilley published his findings that explained that Chaser was taught to understand sentences containing a prepositional object, verb and direct object.

We now know so much more about how dog brains work than we did 50 or 100 years ago. Everything is being investigated. French scientists have figured out why your dog finds a stranger's crotch more interesting than its owner's. (Frontiers in Zoology

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-smartest-dog-in-the-world/
    1. Do you believe animals have actual intelligence, more than instincts and a dash of cleverness? (5 votes)
        Yes. My dog taught me everything I needed to know [just do what the dog wants me to do]
        40%
        No. Dogs are "smart" only compared to their owners.
          0%
        All this talk about dog cognition is part of a conspiracy to sell more plastic dog stuff.
        60%
  • Sir2u
    Come on BC, there has got to be more options than that.

#1 applies more to cats than dogs.
    #2 compared to or in contrast to their owners?
    #3 my dogs don't like plastic stuff, but they will tear anything made of wood and beer cans to pieces.

What about;
    My dog is as smart as I have taught him to be. Or as stupid.
    My dog does things that I cannot explain, he must have figured them out by himself.

One of my dogs, mostly German shepherd, spend most of her time plotting a new escape. She has search out every weak part of the fence to make holes. She has systematically dug around the base of the fence to find a place to dig her tunnel. She has done running jump tests on every section of the fence to find places where it will support her when she climbs it. She never tries to escape when someone is at home.

Does anyone want to adopt her?
  • Hanover
    Fred pees directly on his leg. He ate the internet cable, the a/c wire (low voltage), and got halfway through the Freon line before it burst and froze his face off.

Name me one human who can do all that before their first birthday. Genuis.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I go with the first option, my dogs have always been much smarter than me. The fact that they do not talk is evidence of this. The barking is intended to irritate me, but probably for good reason.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment