• god must be atheist
    Atheism has been invented by those who fear God,Drazjan

It is not my contention that Atheists fear God.Drazjan

These are two direct quotes uttered by you. The referencing is easily done.

So... you later say that the TERM atheism has been invented by those who fear the Abrahamic god, and the term is to mean those who are heathens.

I wish people would be more careful in composing their posts, and wish people would pay more attention to be not misleading by carelessness. I read what is written, and I understand what I read. If someone by mistake writes other than what they meant, they should clear it up. Thanks for clearing this up, Drazjan. I appreciate the effort.
  • RegularGuy
    Yes, she is my muse and my oracle. :smile:
  • Drazjan
    Atheism has been invented by those who fear God,
    — Drazjan

It is not my contention that Atheists fear God.
    — Drazjan

These are two direct quotes uttered by you. The referencing is easily done.

So... you later say that the TERM atheism has been invented by those who fear the Abrahamic god, and the term is to mean those who are heathens.
    god must be atheist

The first quote is correct. Its cryptic, but its food for thought. I used to think I was an Atheist, until I discovered that it was part of a trichotomy that facilitates those who "fear God." I don't mind being categorised by something I believe, but certainly not something that is someone else's idea. As to the first quote : Atheists fearing God would be contradictory. So I do not see that as an interpretation.
    The God-ists seem to need to codify reality as cosmic or mystical. I would not say that need is wrong, any more than the other neuroses that make up the human condition. But I doubt they would disagree with the notion that reality is something with which the individual comes to terms.

Perhaps the most amusing aspect of Abraham and his followers (and there is not much) is that they feel that one supreme "spirit" is more logical that several.
  • god must be atheist
    My baby keeps me amused. She has orifice.
  • god must be atheist
    I still call myself atheist, as the current generally accepted meaning is "not a believer in god(s)". I think those who coined this word were in agreement with this. How could they not be, when the greek source is "theist"- goddist, with the negation prefix "a".

While I believe in the power of knowing historical development and etimology of words, I think if someone goes by the current usage, irrespective of the meaning's development, then he or she has a greater chance of not being misunderstood.
  • Drazjan
    I have great respect for language, and despise journalese. I never use religion when I mean belief in God. Accepted usage is often twisted, like quality to mean refinement instead of texture. I will not accept meaning that requires a nudge and wink. Words such as God, spirit, and soul are words which require prior claim of knowledge before they can be defined. Thats a conundrum. To me, no meaning is conveyed. It's just jaws flapping in the wind, whether for or against.
  • 3017amen
    https://www.amazon.com/Mind-God-Scientific-Basis-Rational/dp/0671797182

If you haven't had the opportunity to read physicist Paul Davies' Book...it's a great, great read!!

Accordingly, I believe the short answer is yes. I was always inspired by Einstein's search for answers and sense of wonder...

"Knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man." (Albert Einstein)
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet