• RoberthP
    Does consciousness derive from fear? Is fear the main driving factor for the emergence of consciousness and its subsequent development? Why would animals develop such a mysterious thing as this if not to defend themselves and perpetuate their species, developing models of action and calls for prey, foes, predators or mating? The emergence of consciousness can be perhaps linked to an even more exotic theory, such as the one that states an ulterior development of consciousness in primates was driven by the ingurgitation of a peculiar fungus that produces psilocybin. This latter theory was presented before me by the late Terence McKenna, the mushroom and cannabis enthusiast which has many, many hours of pure psychedelic entertainment on youtube.I strongly recommend you watch him.
    What I propose is maybe to be seen as an addendum to his theory, and this is mainly: it was fear deriving from the psychedelic trip that the apes had, and its subsequent beneficial effects that drove to the emergence of consciousness.
  • James Pullman
    Good evening Robert.

I agree that there are very important tools for surviving. As sight or audition. Or speed. Or strength. Consciousness is, undoubtedly, an evolutionary advantage, handy and desirable.
    How do you define consciousness? The aware of the existence of self? Or the ability to perceive the surrounding environment as a preponderant influence in one´s survival?
    I believe that fear and self-awareness are, in some manner, opposites:

- fear: the acknowledging of potential life threatening outer stimulus;
    - consciousness: the realization that one exists within constant outer stimulus, in order to improve its' chances of survival (allowing choices).

Fearful individuals might be more keen to perceive themselves as existing, has they more often apart from potential threats, and by doing so, begone to perceived thyself has subsets of existence.
    On the other hand, other type of outer and non potential threatening stimulus can do the work: rain, odor of potential mates and food, same specie individuals.

it is not clear, to me, that fear is the spark, but for sure, after consciousness was settled, fear was an important enzyme for developing self-awareness.
  • bert1
    Don't you need to be conscious before you can feel anything, including fear?
  • deletedusercb
    Or another way to put this...why would causal chains suddenly need subjective experience. Billiard balls move when hit. yes, animals are more complicated, but it's got a complicated chain of causes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.