• RegularGuy
    Not sure how I inferred that you were a psychiatrist. I infer a lot about people when I shouldn’t. A lot of the time I’m right, though. It’s a defense mechanism I’ve developed as a means to not be taken advantage of... or maybe as a means to figure out people’s intentions.
  • James Pullman
    No concerns. No harm done. It´s all good. I already like. I liked you when i teased you into discussion. I also assume a lot og wrong things, it might be another sign of my restless need to know.
  • RegularGuy
    I have that need as well.
  • James Pullman
    sorry for my English, it´s not my native language! And now i´have to agree with you, this is way out of topic :) ;)
  • BC
    “The identity that matters most is one's identity as a human-being-becoming-a-person. We can be grouped into pairs, families, clans, tribes, interest groups, nations, and so forth.” BC quoted by JP

JP, I was probably unclear in my post. The identity that most matters to individuals is their human becoming a person identity. This isn’t the identity that matters most collectively. It seems to me that some individuals are demanding collective consideration for their individual features, even those “features” conjured out of thin air, like the various freshly minted genders.

One of the little collectivities I left-out was support group which some people clearly need. They then begin to confuse their support group’s approval for broader social acceptance.

“I´m 40 years old (probably older than all of you), and what I perceive is that we humans, both individually and socially, are getting much more sensitivity to differences. And also overreacting to their existence” JP said.

Yes, that is what I was getting at — especially the over reaction.

By the way I’m 73, and not the oldest.
  • James Pullman
    BC, thak you for your post. Thank you for your difference. Most of all, than you for your sapient age...
  • RegularGuy
    It seems to me that some individuals are demanding collective consideration for their individual features, even those “features” conjured out of thin air, like the various freshly minted genders.Bitter Crank

Have you met someone with, say, gender fluidity? There seem to be a not insignificant number of these people. If you have met some, have you tried to understand them first before passing this kind of judgment?

Edit: Gender is not the same thing as biological sex to these people. It is a social construct. You might want to argue against that if you disagree.
  • RegularGuy
    That’s right. I seem to remember that discussion.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

Depends, to a lot of the people you are talking about, sex is also a social construct because it is our understanding of where someone belongs in certain categories we use, rather than the presence of a biological state or body.

But that's a whole other topic you might not want to get into here. (though, it is pretty easy to relate to identity politics and it's supposed "rise"-- all politics is identity politics, it's not new. The point of a political organization is to gather around some type of representation of a social body that is unique, a sort of world presence to be recognised and handled a certain way).
  • RegularGuy
    The point of a political organization is to gather around some type of representation of a social body that is unique, a sort of world presence to be recognised and handled a certain way).TheWillowOfDarkness

So, what is your recommendation? Do we recognize and learn about and from differences? I know that sounds easy and simplistic, but the reason why @James Pullman suggested this topic to me was that we all have something to learn from one another. I took on this topic because there is an existential threat to our democracies throughout the West, and I wanted to gain insight from others as to what can be done about it.

There are two issues here as I see it. The need to be challenged by opposing views to seek out the truth as well as the need to share the world with others who aren’t like us.
  • Janus
    One such absurd idea is that a man can become a woman, or a woman can become a man,Bitter Crank

It's not absurd to think that a man could become a woman, and vice versa; it happens quite often. What is absurd is to think that a male could become a female; which is not the same. I think you are conflating the two ideas.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.