• Fooloso4
    But the extent to which you allow this to happen is determined by you.
    — Fooloso4

Not always possible. Think circumcision.
    Amity

Point, or should I say tip, taken. But as the sculpturer of yourself you begin with the material you have to work with.

One does not begin with the ability to play freely. So too, one does not begin with the ability to live freely.
    — Fooloso4

For sure, we start off with little.
    As we grow, a few might still not have the ability or capacity to play music or live freely.
    Depending on many factors- physical, geographical, political circumstances.
    Amity

While I agree that these things play a role, if two people start off more or less the same, with similar ability or capacity, and have similar physical, geographical, political circumstances they may not both be able to play or live freely. It has to do with what one does with what she is given.

However, a child or someone with limited abilities, knowledge or talent can still sing, dance and jam without constraints of rule following. They are being themselves.Amity

From the article "What is Free Jazz" from Masterclass https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-free-jazz#what-is-free-jazz

Free jazz stemmed from a basic principle, one that most musicians (and indeed, most artists) are familiar with: learn the rules—then break them.

I might add, learn your instrument and don't break it.

So too with life. To live free one must first learn the rules. In neither case is it simply a matter of doing whatever you want whenever you want.
  • Amity
    I might add, learn your instrument and don't break it.Fooloso4

But, but... that is part of being who you are, self-expression.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_destruction

Think Pete Townshend of the Who.

Who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
    (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
    I said (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
    I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
  • Fooloso4

I did not think of the intentional breaking of instruments as a "form of expression". But if it is your only instrument then unless or until you get another you can't play. Even if you are playing free jazz you are not free of your instrument.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.