• JosephS
    I've been thinking about the nature of the precursor to the Big Bang. By using the word precursor, it already smacks of incoherence as it suggests a temporal ordering before time.

What I was considering was a 'time-like' structure, one which exhibited certain characteristics of what we call time but without all its trappings. What if the fabric of existence maintains an indeterminacy of identity at its most fundamental level? What may be two could also be one, fluctuating, but not in time of our appreciation. This time-like fluctuation could be best approached as a form of quantum indeterminacy, writ large. There would be no before or after, simply dual states of existence fluctuating without temporal order, like a drunk having an image of car split into two and merge continually.

A parallel in mathematics to this timelike structure would be to consider fields and rings. This timelike structure would hold the place of the ring in this analogy. Time as we know it, with a temporal order, would hold the place of the field in the analogy. The analogy reflects that the timelike structure and what we call time share some features but that our time has ordering which is not reflected in the timelike structure.

If, now, prior to the Big Bang, we deal not in actuality but potentiality, and the fluctuations provide the motive for potentiality to reach actuality (when a set of potential states merge their identity), the universe bursts into existence with time fully fleshed out (from where?).

Not a shred of evidence. I'm curious as to what responses would look like.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.