• Amity
    Cooperative and gentle humor would be if perhaps you were having a hard day, so I pushed your nose and said "Pookie is gonna be ok" in a baby voice. That'd cheer you right up.Hanover

:rofl:
    Oh yeah, baby. That would do it. For sure.
    If that has worked for you and partner in real life, then fantastico :cool:

Alternatively, you could tell a joke. Distract and deliver.

A man asks, “God, why did you make woman so beautiful?” God responded, ”So you would love her.” The man asks, “But God, why did you make her so dumb?” God replied, “So she would love you.”

http://www.laughfactory.com/jokes/sexist-jokes

Handle humour with great care !

Both humor experts offer caveats about the study and the value of humor. Using jokes to boost moods works better if the situation that put you in the bad mood is not extremely personal, Kuhn says. If someone's loved one was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, for instance, making a joke that they should just "forget about it" would not go over well -- the situation is too personal, he says.

Your mood can't be so bad that the funniest joke in the world couldn't lift your spirits, he says. "You have to be in the mood to play," Kuhn says. "You have to be willing to participate in the joke to get the benefit out of it."

https://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20090820/good-jokes-cure-bad-moods

I think that a Cooperative aspect is that you need to get a feel whether something will work for that person, given the circumstances. Otherwise a not so gentle jab to the genitals might be the response to your jokey gesture :joke:
    Of course, that might be just what you are looking for ? :gasp:
  • Amity
    I can debate you on that.
    But no, seriously, I get what you're saying. They don't call it "The Comedy Forum" for a reason.
    MrCrowley

Bring it on Mr.Crowley. Let's see what you got.
    Welcome to TPF :smile:
  • Amity
    On the question of Grice and Humour.
    I haven't watched this yet - but might be fun...

Watch "11: Layers of meaning - Cooperation, humour, and Gricean Maxims (Intro to Pragmatics)" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/dw46d7I9AEs
  • Hanover
    Both humor experts offer caveats about the study and the value of humor. Using jokes to boost moods works better if the situation that put you in the bad mood is not extremely personal, Kuhn says. If someone's loved one was just diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, for instance, making a joke that they should just "forget about it" would not go over well -- the situation is too personal, he says.

A humor expert, yeah, that's a thing.. I'm a sadness expert and I help people understand what makes them cry. I used to be a meh expert.

A funnier joke would be for the Alzheimer's patient who was just diagnosed to say, "Well at least I don't have Alzheimer's." Of course, maybe they'd be joking or not, who really knows?

But what you can say is very dependent upon the person. Like when my brother called me and told me that he and his wife of 13 years were getting a divorce, I asked for her number, considering she was now single.

See what I'm saying Pookie Wookie Shmookie?
  • Amity
    See what I'm saying Pookie Wookie Shmookie?Hanover

See you Jimmy - yer heid's fou o' mince.
    Ye need tee haud yer wheesht and skedaddle aff, ya bampot ye.

Seriously tho' - ah luvs ya, ma wee Tootsie, Wootsie, Schmootzie :love:
  • Hanover
    See you Jimmy - yer heid's fou o' mince.
    Ye need tee haud yer wheesht and skedaddle aff, ya bampot ye
    Amity
    You sure got you a mouthful of Gaelic don't you? Bless your heart.
  • Amity
    GaelicHanover

Gaelic Schmaelic :roll:
  • Hanover
    Ahh German. My bad.
  • Amity
    Ahh German. My bad.Hanover

Dummkopf, Schmoommkopf, Donner and Blitzen.
    Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
  • Hanover
    Mishigas.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention