• jorgealarcon
    A wise man once said long ago that one hour of reflection is far better than a whole lifetime of praying. There's no doubt that the person who thinks is superior to the person who doesn't. When you become complacent, you don't want anything to jolt you out of that comfort zone. Not only can thinking help you break free from an autopilot mentality, but all the following:

* You may re-discover balance and inner peace.
    * You may switch from passive to proactive.
    * Become less robotic, rigid, and "mentally asleep."
    * Go from wandering to meaningful living.
    * You may give up self-defeating practices such as drug abuse.
    * You may resist yielding to temptations that drag you down morally.
    * You may go from purely desire-driven to more principle-oriented.
    * You may go from darkness to enlightenment.
    * You may save yourself a ton of problems by seeing all the negative consequences unfolding beforehand.
    * You may ascend vastly from ignorant to wise.
    * Unproductive tendencies such as bad habits and superstitious beliefs may vanish.
    * You may see eventually the utter uselessness of having countless idols.
    * You can rise to higher stages of both intellectual and spiritual development.
    * The once believed impossible, may become possible.
    * You may realize your true potential.
    * Many doors may fling open suddenly for solving extremely difficult problems.

Thinking has the awesome power of acting like a volt of electricity zapping a seemingly lifeless person back to life. Can the person who thinks compare with the one who doesn't? They are remotely apart like comparing the living with the dead. The possibilities and benefits of thinking mount up to the skies with no end. These were only a few I came up with. Can you enhance this list?
  • Noblosh
    * You may waste time or become distracted when you can't afford that.

There's no doubt that the person who thinks is superior to the person who doesn't.jorgealarcon

More like, privileged. Only those unmolested can properly engage their higher faculties.
  • T Clark
    There's no doubt that the person who thinks is superior to the person who doesn't.jorgealarcon

This is certainly not true. I say that even though you aren't clear about what you mean when you refer to "the person who thinks." In all that long list of possible pitfalls you say thinking may save you from, as many are caused by thinking as are likely to be relieved by it.
  • deletedusercb
    Can the person who thinks compare with the one who doesn't?jorgealarcon

Certain types of thinking may lead to improvement, that improvement evauluate in different ways by people of different values. But everybody thinks. People's minds are abuzz with thinking all the time. Now, of course, you outlines certain kinds of thinking, which you are referring to as thinking so I presume what goes on in most minds you would not call thinking. Fine. It might be useful to explain what those thought processes would be. The list is more like the results. I can guess from the list what some of those thought processes might be like, but it would be guesses.
  • TheMadFool
    Can you enhance this list?jorgealarcon

Thinking alone can be done by machines. What is important is a heart that tempers thinking in the right direction. This is probably a naive outlook and, even to me, is rather childish in character.

Nonetheless there are countless movies on the cold calculating AI that wants to end all biological life.

Odd thing is that it's likely that the gap between true AI and man is the same, may be even more, as the gap between man and animal. Is it possible that future AI will allow us to live our lives just as we let animals live in the wild? I don't know but one thing the question may point to is that thinking alone doesn't make a human being.

Of course the heart isn't infallible. By nature a person who feels rather than thinks will be worse off because s/he will make more mistakes BUT, at least, no one else gets hurt. A fool and his gold are soon parted they say but one rotten apple spoils the whole lot. :razz:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.