• thewonder
    I've recently encountered a few Nihilist theories concerning acts for their own sake, or, rather, for the temporary liberation which they allow for. I feel like this hazards that pure protest can become like an addictive compulsion. A relentless drive to destroy, to me, seems only to be self-destructive. Such acts fail to cope with that they are born out of tragedy. That social alienation and anomie have made a person suicidal is nothing to celebrate. The whole thing kind of reminds me of the book Crash. Has anyone else ever met a Nihilist? How should a person cope with the absurdity of the human condition? What axioms can be levelled so that revolt does not become a form of suicide? Does Nihilism describe a real human plight or is it merely pathological? If Nihilism is just resultant of an exacerbated coping mechanism, then, how is a person to cope with what I would argue to be quite natural angst?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.