• AJJ
    Apparently Aquinas’s Fourth Way is considered a strange one, so I thought I’d try describing it, see if I get it right and what others have to say about it.

Aquinas posits being as a transcendental: something that is above every genus and unrestrictedly common to all beings, who all have being in some sense.

Two other transcendentals are truth and goodness: These are convertible with being, which is to say they refer to the same property of being.

“True” here refers to how real or genuine something is. Everything that has being is a somewhat true or real or genuine instance of itself, such as a triangle drawn well or sloppily; the former being more true than the latter. In the same way we can use the word “good” to refer to the former but not so much to the latter. To say that something is true or good here is to say it possesses the property (to some degree) of being what it is.

Proceeding from all this is Aquinas’s Fourth Way:

We can only judge a triangle, say, as being a good triangle by reference to a maximum in being/goodness/truth. No matter how well you draw a triangle, it will always be possible for it to be better, and we know this only because we recognise it does not possess perfect goodness/truth/being. However, it does possess each to a certain degree. To be a degree of something is to participate in a progression which points to a maximum. Something which has maximum being/truth/goodness is simply being itself; something that derives its being not from somewhere else (which would limit it) but from itself, and is therefore the thing from which everything else derives their being/truth/goodness (by their participation in the scale towards the perfection of those things). This is given the name God.
  • Le Vautre
    I think here Aquinas was inspired by Luke 13:24-29. Strangely, this quest of authenticity did not appeal Heidegger. Yet he said that a real man is a man who knows the mysteries of Being, that is to say who admits that forgetfulness (the fundamental inability) of mankind as one criterium to be authentic. The choice of a triangle is a good choice because geometry tends to revealed itself through the eyes and to tell everything. Therefore, to say that it have a possibility to speak more, to be perfectly perfect, it's a really good choice; Schopenhauer did not the same reasoning, and the kantians will put geometry into the rubric of "which doesn't speak"... ... :groan: Husserl, with his intentionality, gives to the mysteries of beings – Heidegger will put Being instead of God, to be the guarantee of this named mysteries. ... ...
  • AJJ

I looked up those verses and they’re about the difficulty of entering the Kingdom of God. If those are the ones you meant then I suppose he could have been inspired by them, sure; by the notion that perfection is something most participate in to an inadequate degree.

I didn’t come up with the triangle example but I agree it illustrates the point well enough. And I haven’t but do intend to read some Heidegger.
  • Le Vautre
    The triangle is a geometrical object which, normally, is seen as a full revelation of itself. Nevertheless, the phenomenological reduction tells us the opposite. It suprises me tremendously that we can see these simililarities both in Bergson and Husserl, in terms of truth – this one becoming a great virtuality. To some extent, there's somehow fideism in this ideational shell.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.