• Ilya B Shambat
    Dr. Roy Wagner, an anthropology professor at University of Virginia, recently passed away. He left behind a large and distinguished body of work and many good memories.

I knew Roy through a friend of a friend. Roy's son Jonathan had a friend named Janice, who struck up a friendship with me. She got involved with Roy. She committed suicide at age 23, but Roy and I remained in contact.

Every time I contacted him, he had something interesting to say. He talked about the mathematical system of the New Guinea natives and the unsinkable boats that they had. He talked about Native American mysticism and Australian aboriginal magic. He also talked about things that I would have considered lunacy had it not come from a distinguished professor – things such as the Sasquatch.

He liked my essays and said that I can make a case for anything. He also was encouraging me to do anthropological work on the Palm Island in Australia, near where I lived. I haven't been able to do that because Palm Island is a closed community; but I've been taking an anthropological approach to dealing with people from many cultures and studying their practices.

Roy had an encyclopedic knowledge. He knew much about both his field and many others. He knew the Russian name of Czar Ivan the Terrible. He had read Gogol. He knew advanced chemistry. And every time I called, he taught me something.

Roy, you have lived a meaningful life, and you are being missed. I hope that you are happy wherever you are.
  • BC
    Roy was probably a great guy, but 99.99% of the world will not have heard of him, read his fabulous insights, or known any of his children or their suicided friends.

Where do the rest of us fit into this thread?
  • Ilya B Shambat
    Bitter Crank: This thread is about Roy Wagner. You fit in as the audience for the requiem.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet