• Shawn
    When does identity consolidation occur? In what manner does identity consolidation occur? And, does identity consolidation occur when values are deemed as worthy or not?
  • Borraz
    I had a text analysis teacher who said that no one consolidates identity except assholes. At school we all distinguish assholes, but then we enter adolescence and we all become assholes. Some of us realize how stupid we are (usually after being so stupid idiots trying to get a lady) and, therefore, we stop being so. Others are more arrogant and are on their way to becoming whole assholes. Best regards and read Aaron James.
  • Congau
    When does identity consolidation occur?Shawn
    What do you mean by “identity consolidation”? If you mean personality consolidation, I would say it occurs at some point as a teenager. (Although it is of course never complete.)

“Identity”, however, is an intentionally blurry word, and it would be hard to say when something occurs that we don’t clearly define. Do you mean “identity” as in belongingness to a certain group (that is very often the meaning) in that case the identity would disappear if the group disappeared and it wouldn’t be possible to consolidate it.

Do you mean “When do we know who we are?”? Few people ever achieve a complete self-understanding and in any case to “Know Thyself” is a life-long struggle. We are not likely to achieve certain knowledge about ourselves (or about anything else for that matter), we can only hope that our belief is not too far from the truth.

There is a common misconception that we cannot be wrong about our own identity. It is presumably something we just choose the same way we choose what to wear. We simply put on a batch and that’s our readymade identity. That’s particularly common among teenagers, but we all make ourselves victims of this kind of superficial identity consolidation: It’s more important what we seem to be than what we are.
  • Shawn
    What do you mean by “identity consolidation”?Congau

Now that I think about it, the term doesn't make much sense. I think, the term "reintegration" or "integration" is more apt here to say.

We are not likely to achieve certain knowledge about ourselves (or about anything else for that matter), we can only hope that our belief is not too far from the truth.Congau

Why not? This strikes me as anti-psychologist. Is that what your getting at?
  • Valentinus

There are lots of different models for such a thing.
    I am not sure it is an interesting line of pursuit without one.
    Which begs a question...
  • Congau
    We are not likely to achieve certain knowledge about ourselves (or about anything else for that matter), we can only hope that our belief is not too far from the truth.
    — Congau
    Why not? This strikes me as anti-psychologist. Is that what your getting at?
    Shawn
    Not at all, it is very psychologist. It is exactly the reason why people would need to see a therapist, to gain knowledge about themselves, and the fact that they may be willing to spend a lot of time and money in the process just proves how difficult it is.

Identity theorists, on the other hand, seem to think that people know themselves so thoroughly that they can just pick their identity and that will be what they really are. A person who identifies as Irish, is really Irish although he has never been to Ireland. That would be an instant of false consciousness.

Self-knowledge is hard work, and as for any difficult task, perfection is not possible.
  • christian2017
    When does identity consolidation occur? In what manner does identity consolidation occur? And, does identity consolidation occur when values are deemed as worthy or not?Shawn

Identity consolidation is the ability for a user to indicate that one or more identities, profiles, URLs across different sites all represent that same user. Also known as: profile aggregation, profile equivalency.

Like Congau said above perhaps you meant personality consolidation. I didn't look up the definition of that:

You soul is a complex thing and has multiple parts. You have your personality, way of thinking, how your heart glands effect parts of your brain, and how well you treat people. And some others.

Basically you can give up every part of your soul except treating people well and still have a soul.

In general it is best to keep your entire soul intact through out your entire life. This very often (not a hard and fast rule) means not pursuing the opposite sex and even tremendous suffering (tremendous suffering or suffering depends on other factors and is not an absolute requirement).

In general you are better off in the long run just "being you".

But giving up parts of your soul can produce intelligence quite often.

Theres a quote from a holy book about this subject but i'm not going to list it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.