• yupamiralda
    Here is a test that's amusing. The D&D alignment system runs "good<->evil" on one axis and "lawful<->chaotic" on the other.

Roughly: Good is helping those less fortunate. Evil is self-focus. Lawful is obeying the rules. Chaotic is valuing independence.

I tested chaotic evil. I was surprised to learn I'm the bad guy. :P
  • Baden
    I got:

You Are A:

Chaotic Neutral Human Monk/Sorcerer (3rd/2nd Level)

Alignment:
    Chaotic Neutral- A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal. However, chaotic neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all authority, harmony, and order in society.

Race:
    Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Primary Class:
    Monks- Monks are versatile warriors skilled at fighting without weapons or armor. Good-aligned monks serve as protectors of the people, while evil monks make ideal spies and assassins. Though they don't cast spells, monks channel a subtle energy, called ki. This energy allows them to perform amazing feats, such as healing themselves, catching arrows in flight, and dodging blows with lightning speed. Their mundane and ki-based abilities grow with experience, granting them more power over themselves and their environment. Monks suffer unique penalties to their abilities if they wear armor, as doing so violates their rigid oath. A monk wearing armor loses their Wisdom and level based armor class bonuses, their movement speed, and their additional unarmed attacks per round.

Secondary Class:
    Sorcerers- Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.

http://www.easydamus.com/chaoticneutral.html
  • fdrake
    I almost always get neutral good in these things. Though knowing the alignment system and the stats makes the tests easy to cheat.
  • TogetherTurtle
    You Are A:

True Neutral Half-Elf Wizard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)

Alignment:
    True Neutral- A true neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. He doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most true neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil after all, he would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, he's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some true neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. True neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion. However, true neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it represents apathy, indifference, and a lack of conviction.

Race:
    Half-Elves have the curiosity and ambition for their human parent and the refined senses and love of nature of their elven parent, although they are outsiders among both cultures. To humans, half-elves are paler, fairer and smoother-skinned than their human parents, but their actual skin tones and other details vary just as human features do. Half-elves tend to have green, elven eyes. They live to about 180.

Primary Class:
    Wizards- Wizards are arcane spellcasters who depend on intensive study to create their magic. To wizards, magic is not a talent but a difficult, rewarding art. When they are prepared for battle, wizards can use their spells to devastating effect. When caught by surprise, they are vulnerable. The wizard's strength is her spells, everything else is secondary. She learns new spells as she experiments and grows in experience, and she can also learn them from other wizards. In addition, over time a wizard learns to manipulate her spells so they go farther, work better, or are improved in some other way. A wizard can call a familiar- a small, magical, animal companion that serves her. With a high Intelligence, wizards are capable of casting very high levels of spells.

Secondary Class:
    Sorcerers- Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.
  • Sir2u
    Lawful Neutral Human Sorcerer (8th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 12
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 12

Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral- A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs him. Order and organization are paramount to him. He may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or he may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot. However, lawful neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all freedom, choice, and diversity in society.

Race:
    Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Class:
  • Pattern-chaser
    I got "Neutral Good Human Druid (7th Level)", which surprised me. I sort of expected 'true neutral', as D&D druids are (or so I thought). Fun, though. :smile:
  • thewonder
    Chaotic Good Human Druid/Bard (3rd/2nd Level)

When I played D&D, I think that I played as a Chaotic Good Half-Elf Wizard.

My results don't suprise me too much, though.
  • thewonder
    I've discovered from this that I should probably play as an Elf Ranger or a Half-Elf Bard. I'm probably more of a Bard in real life, but, think that playing as a Ranger would make more sense unless there are more players.

Since I'm more of a Bard, and, I did just look this up, I'm going with rapier and lute. I can wear a cloak of some sort.

I am sort of a solitary guy, though. I might be better off as a Ranger. Who knows?

I'd probably be a Human Ranger or a Half-Elf Bard. I don't think that I'm much of a Druid. I would kind of like to be a Wizard, though.
  • god must be atheist
    I got a:

Randomly Assigned Variables Based On Computer-Clock-seeded Mnemonic Overdrive (237th/238th level)
  • S
    I'm a Zoomer.
  • RegularGuy
    True Neutral Human Monk/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 10

Alignment:
    True Neutral- A true neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. He doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most true neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil after all, he would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, he's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some true neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. True neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion. However, true neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it represents apathy, indifference, and a lack of conviction.

Race:

Primary Class:
    Monks- Monks are versatile warriors skilled at fighting without weapons or armor. Good-aligned monks serve as protectors of the people, while evil monks make ideal spies and assassins. Though they don't cast spells, monks channel a subtle energy, called ki. This energy allows them to perform amazing feats, such as healing themselves, catching arrows in flight, and dodging blows with lightning speed. Their mundane and ki-based abilities grow with experience, granting them more power over themselves and their environment. Monks suffer unique penalties to their abilities if they wear armor, as doing so violates their rigid oath. A monk wearing armor loses their Wisdom and level based armor class bonuses, their movement speed, and their additional unarmed attacks per round.

Secondary Class:
    Clerics- Clerics act as intermediaries between the earthly and the divine (or infernal) worlds. A good cleric helps those in need, while an evil cleric seeks to spread his patron's vision of evil across the world. All clerics can heal wounds and bring people back from the brink of death, and powerful clerics can even raise the dead. Likewise, all clerics have authority over undead creatures, and they can turn away or even destroy these creatures. Clerics are trained in the use of simple weapons, and can use all forms of armor and shields without penalty, since armor does not interfere with the casting of divine spells. In addition to his normal complement of spells, every cleric chooses to focus on two of his deity's domains. These domains grants the cleric special powers, and give him access to spells that he might otherwise never learn. A cleric's Wisdom score should be high, since this determines the maximum spell level that he can cast.
  • RegularGuy
    I'm a Zoomer.S

You take Adderall, too? :rofl:
  • thewonder
    I have a theory about the D&D Character Alignment that there is not Lawful Good. There is only Neutral Good and Chaotic Good.
  • Pattern-chaser
    What are paladins, then?
  • thewonder

Either Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, or Lawful Evil. You can't be Lawful Good in High Fantasy.
  • Pattern-chaser
    OK, I'll bite: what is "High Fantasy"? :smile: [And why is 'Lawful Good' banned there?]
  • thewonder

High Fantasy describes a genre of Fantasy writing. It actually just denotes that the story is set in an entirely different universe, but its usage sort of connotes a kind of implicit romantic nationalism or something. I don't actually mind Lord of the Rings because it's about the Second World War, but there are a few High Fantasy works that can kind of be interpreted as being almost imperial. I wouldn't knock the genre too much, but those sort of things are sort of there.

If you, for instance, take Lord of the Rings and place Great Britain in a different historical context, then the text becomes much more difficult to interpret positively.
  • Pattern-chaser
    I've been reading fantasy books for 50 years now, and I played AD&D for 20 years until our little group petered out, and I haven't really seen what you describe. Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea, for example, is mostly independent of life on Earth, but there are always things common to both. It's almost unavoidable, isn't it? To create a world that has nothing at all in common with humanity or our Earth: is that really possible for a human author? Perhaps you're being a little too demanding? :smile:

In the end, all that matters is that the story being told is a Good Story. If it isn't, the book will fade, and if it is, nothing else matters. IMO, of course.
  • thewonder

Eh, perhaps. I never got too into Fantasy novels. I had a friend who was really into them and said that about High Fantasy. There's a way of interpreting orcs as being like a slave rebellion or something. I prefer to see things better and see them as just simply being warlike, but I did just assume that he knew what he was talking about.

Oh, I edited my post to clarify what I meant, by the way.
  • thewonder

Like, a Paladin is like a Knight of the Templar. I've always kind of liked that sort of thing, but must admit that there is something kind of Fascist about the Knights of the Templar. They were active during the Crusades.
  • Pattern-chaser
    So you're not really into fantasy. That's OK. But what are you doing here? Did you play D&D at some point, or are you just seeking entertainment, as we all are? :smile:

Oh yes, there are many wonderful myths concerning the Templars. Some of them might even be true! ... Maybe. :smile:
  • thewonder

I've played D&D before. I was just tossing that theory out there. When you consider Good and Evil in the Christian sense historically, I think it becomes much more difficult to consider for Law to actually be good. This is just something that I think about from time to time.
  • Pattern-chaser
    When you consider Good and Evil in the Christian sense historically, I think it becomes much more difficult to consider for Law to actually be good. This is just something that I think about from time to time.thewonder

I've also spent some time thinking about D&D alignments. First, law isn't good. That's part of what the alignment system says: there is a spectrum linking good and evil, and an independent spectrum linking law and chaos. When you start to give it serious thought, all kinds of problems emerge. In the end, I think we must conclude that D&D is just a game, and alignment is an attribute of the real world over-simplified to fit it into the game.
  • thewonder

That's true enough, but I ultimately suspect for Law not to be a neutral category. It's seemingly neutral, but ultimately disadvantageous to what I would consider to be good. Law is a repressive apparatus. In spite of its best intentions, its function is to enact a form of repression. The whole "It is forbidden to forbid" sort of thing. I guess I see this as a means to explore that. An easy deconstruction of a High Fantasy novel would be to write the Paladin as a character who wants to bring divine justice to pagans and heretics. I'm not quite giving the genre enough credit, though. The hero in the myth kind is beset by this tension. I don't know. I was honestly just reviving this thread to see what other people would post. I, for some reason, rather like these quizzes. I've spent a lot of time on select smart finding out which Final Fantasy character I am. The last time I did it I got Aerith Gainsbourg, Setzer Gabbiani, and Vincent Valentine. But, alas, I've gone off topic again. Who knows what I trying to get at?
  • Pattern-chaser
    Law is a repressive apparatus. In spite of its best intentions, its function is to enact a form of repression.thewonder

Yes, repression ... but also protection. One shows concern for you, the other doesn't seem to. And law does both at the same time. So it has good points and bad ones too. Not really a surprise. :wink: [And no argument that I can see for law being only non-good. :wink: ]
  • thewonder

Well, I wouldn't necessarily, but you could argue that Law does not protect its citizens, but, rather, protects only a select class of citizens and is, therefore, part and parcel to the machinations of the State in a negative sense.

That theory makes a lot more sense if you accept my friend's assertion that High Fantasy is just kind of Fascist. There's nothing necesarily Fascist about creating the entire universe of the novel, and, so, I suppose that I wouldn't really hold on to it.
  • Pattern-chaser
    you could argue that Law [...] is, therefore, part and parcel to the machinations of the State in a negative sense.thewonder

I suppose you could. But let's remember, we're talking about human-world artifacts being imported into a gaming environment (or the environment of fantasy novels or films). In the process, these things are necessarily simplified. And, as we noted before, often over-simplified.

That theory makes a lot more sense if you accept my friend's assertion that High Fantasy is just kind of Fascist.thewonder

Hmm. Fantasy worlds are often feudal in their politics, ruled by the rich and powerful. But I think this is usually an accidental import from the human world, a sort of default State, you might say. :wink: So Fascist? I'm not convinced this is a meaningful observation. Good fantasy is about good stories. The freedom to have purple sky, backward-running time or reversed gravity allows the story to run where it will, but its success still depends on the story itself. Or is the literature itself accused of being Fascist? If so, I'm not even sure what that entails.... :chin:
  • thewonder

Well, I conceded the point and don't intend to try and ruin High Fantasy for you @Pattern-chaser. I don't know that I have too much else to say in the way of a reply.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.