• Michael McMahon
    If we removed hell from the equation then the only consolation of divine judgement would be if you were informed why you were declined from heaven as if you'd a right to a fair trial!
  • Michael McMahon
    It's a miracle I put the past 3 posts in the anti-realism thread accidentally as they were too extreme for the pantheism thread!
  • Michael McMahon
    Interpreting our visual perception as being at the back of our brain in the visual cortex might be too counterintuitive for reconciling it with our tactile perception. So a shortcut for altering our visual locus of consciosness is placing ourselves slightly behind our foreheads. Then we could be better prepared to detach our vision from our non-conscious physical eyes. When we're asleep we could almost view ourselves as being lifted upwards from the rear of our eyelids. This idea came to me in a lucid dream where my half-aware dream character tried to open his eyes and mentioned where he thought he was. After I woke up I partially closed my eyes to see if there were any remnants of the lucid dream. I saw vague outlines of a lot of dancing figurines on a kitchen table which further underscores the random cryptography of sleep.

PS This is an update over a year later on 28/12/23. It’s possible that the lucid dream might also be a warning about collective evil in history not appearing evil in the context of absurdity. For example an individual might not appear too violent just to have been angry a lot during their life where as a nation that descended into evil might not physically appear evil individually in spite of expressing far more anger indirectly through a collective.
  • Michael McMahon
    The mildest version of scientific anti-realism is that parrallax is a metaphorical basis of consciousness. So we could say that the basic movement of the observer in relation to the angle of the close objects to the distant objects is a theory of consciousness. However if we took it too literally then you'd have to go along with lots of other visually non-real ideas like perspective as being physical or the ground slanting upwards as a gravitational Euler force. So if we didn't want to destabilise the perception of too many people in society we could compromise on a poetically scientific form of anti-realism rather than just a mystical form of antirealism. Looking at a tree with flowery petals at night-time is a meditative way to think about anti-realism. The origin of a beautiful tree looks strange when you're not as focused on the daytime colours. Technically any single feature of the mind could be dubbed non-real when viewed from the perspective of idealism and panpsychism.
  • Michael McMahon
    Anti-realism isn't at a stage to compete with science. Yet if anti-realism were collectively adopted in some form by a large group of people then anti-realism could invert science. Essentially our perception knows every single force already even if we don't understand it. For example we perceive light and gravity even though we don't consciously understand it. If we believed that a deistic God created our mind then our unconscious perception of the world isn't passive to an infinite degree. Maybe if we understood our perception better then who knows if we'd understand the external forces better. Perhaps if we resolved the neurology of touch then we'd be able to infer more about the atomic solidity of objects around us. This form of anti-realism would resemble my lucid dreaming thread about working backwards from a lack of free will in sleep to an inference that this might be ironic and clandestine. Perhaps the brain is so deterministic that actually the mind is totally independent of the body and even a residual interaction between mind and body is sufficient relative to a hysterical level of energy in the mind. However an individual would struggle to form a thorough academic subject of anti-realism without an international alliance! If we viewed God as a mystery then we could almost say that quantum mechanics is itself God! Perhaps God doesn't play dice when God is the dice itself! Then classical mechanics would really just be our own minds!
  • Michael McMahon
    It's hard to visualise another mind as physically existing in their brain with the same level of confidence as our sense of touch. Somehow we know that a unified homunculus in the brain isn't logically feasible. Yet a scattered homunculus over interconnected brain regions is only less illogical at best. A religious metaphor for describing the brain is as a halo of light where everyone has their own luminal perception. No matter how close we look at a person's head we can't detect a dark mini-blackhole of an altered timeline. Yet a sci-fi analogy is to think of another's mind is as another wormhole of time. The absoluteness of the physical world means we'd almost need to be devoutly spiritual to reconcile the mind with physics. I find it ironic that I write so much about lucid dreaming and yet I'd be a bit mystified by anyone else's account of their lucid dreams. Their unconscious mind is almost like an alien relative to my own unconscious! Perhaps I could re-interpret another's dreams relative to my own beliefs in free will even if they present the metaphysical function of dreaming to be different!
  • Michael McMahon
    A material benefit of anti-realism could be an enhanced interpretation of art. So many people fail to appreciate modern art even though we often love postmodern music. We simply lack the means to dissociate our visual perception in the same way music can do so for emotions. Perhaps an artist could also be more consistent in using a visual effect through the scientific themes in anti-realism. Even religious people might enjoy more immanent and possessive stained windows!

So much techno music defies the repetiveness of materialism and yet is instantly understandable:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM
    Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5rAOyh7YmEc
    Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At ( Official Video ) Rooty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQlAEiCb8m0
    Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You

By contrast modern art frequently gets huge criticism from pundits. Perhaps one way to connect to modern artists is by viewing each of their worldviews as foreign such that you'd have to learn the background languages before looking at their works.
  • Michael McMahon
    Anti-realism might sound megalomaniacal from the standpoint of a materialism. Yet consciousness has been a mystery for so long that it might be tolerable to consider lesser evils. If you were God of your own perception then how would you relate your senses to your locus of awareness?
  • Michael McMahon
    It might be possible to view the brain as correlative in a fundamental way. Perhaps each thinking neuron is chaotic in the sense of being non-repeatable rather than just complex. So while the sensory and motor neurons might be more formalised perhaps the cognitive part of the brain is unknowable despite being deterministic. We'd only be able to access a small part of our perception. The role of an individual neuron would change fuction so often that perhaps the brain always has a "plastic" section to it. Viewing the brain as just being complex often fails to satisfy people when non-conscious computers are also complex. Perhaps we could say that if a neuron functions as a rational thought one minute where the same neuron equates to an emotion the next minute then the reduction is scrambed across their immanent sensory perception. Each individual neuron could be multi-purpose where unrelated qualia are superimposed. Pain and anxiety often aren't detectable in brain scans. Yet pain is the most intense of any emotions. Hence it's unlikely we'll fully work out milder emotions like curiosity and hope in the brain either. In other words there's almost no proportionality in the intensity of an emotion in a brain scan.

Sometimes a lesser evil when dealing with an unending mystery is to use abhorrent analogies. If we not only think about the mind of an animal but a really creepy one then we might infer some basics about the physical brain. A snake often has slit eyes to suggest that external light is a fundamental part of its residual being. A dualistic theory of snake's unawareness might account for no more than a single pansychist photon. We also know that a snake is irrational such that any sentient aspect of its nervous system is undefinable seeing as irrationality creates deeper layers of exponential irrationality over time. For example the irrational memory trace of a snake trying to understand its irrational environment would be incomprehensibly irrational. Thus there'll never be a repeatable, rational pattern in the snake's brain to signify any awareness. An individual snake is often a symbol of pure evil such that it's motivated only by its reward system and not by the members of its fellow species. I've a feeling God Himself will strike me dead any day soon for failing to consult Him on the mentality of animal species! The creepiness of snakes lies in their infinitesimal emptiness whereas spiders are the opposite form of creepiness in being infinitelely complex with so many contradictory eyes.

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake - Ready to Strike
  • Michael McMahon
    The traditional account for why the brain is split into two hemi-spheres is to increase thought efficiency. Yet it doesn't make too much computational sense why there's so much redundancy in the brain unless it's also to protect against injury. A free-will explanation on the other hand might revolve around thought validation. So if the unconscious mind is fundamentally psychotic and irrational then the two sides of the brain can work independently and verify that an irrational conclusion on one side is matched by the same chaotic result on the other side. For example a random word salad won't sound too good against music and yet the physically equivalent sensible version of the lyrics would be more rewarding to listen to.

Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
  • Michael McMahon
    A conscious being could be compared to a multitude of panspychist photons trapped between mirrors. The visual neurons in brain would essentialy function as mirrors to the incoming sensory neurons.

"A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another."

"The infinity mirror is a configuration of two or more parallel or nearly parallel mirrors, creating a series of smaller and smaller reflections that appear to recede to infinity." Wiki

INSIDE a Spherical Mirror - Vsauce

"The constancy can be exploited to construct a special kind of clock in thought, a so-called light clock. Its operating principle is very simple: Two mirrors are placed at a constant distance from each other. A light pulse runs up and down between them. Each arrival of the pulse at the upper mirror corresponds to a “tick” of the clock."
    https://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlight/light-clocks-time-dilation/
  • Michael McMahon
    A tachyon could be interpreted just like a normal photon except in an alternate timeline. So if multiple people view the same light beam perhaps they're all seeing marginally different frequencies of that beam. In other words the light beam contains such a huge number of photons that no one could see the exact same pairs of photons as another person. It would be as if a light beam were infinitely dense where each person's perception were probabilistic. If we viewed classical mechanics as being totally superdeterministic then each conscious being could reserve a level of free will by tachyons. Thus the sleeping brain could be viewed like a tachyonic antitelophone. The physical world of human civilizations would resemble the sumtotal of everyones dreams. There are already many analogies to explain our unique perceptions of opaque objects like a branch falling in the forest. But are we all seeing the same luminous torches?
  • Michael McMahon
    One way to infer a tachyonic presence is if an unemotional, non-rational animal or insect detected a change in light frequency more than what their visual retina and neurons would imply.
  • Michael McMahon
    Our visual system is made by millions of photons. So even a vague mental image in our imagination might consist of thousands of phosphenes. We can't focus on the exact details of a wavy inner eye. Yet who knows if each phosphene serves a distinct purpose. Thus when it comes to free will we might underestimate the chaotic nature of internal imagery.
  • Michael McMahon
    An alternative way to conceive gravity as a euler force is that the normal force would be non-existent. That way the Earth's crust is so strong that the normal force is not only diluted into the ground but actually entirely evaporated. The weight of an object would only increase when an object is thrown where the weight would disappear again once the object strikes the ground. Without a normal force we'd need to concoct an abnormal euler force!

"In mechanics, the normal force F_{n} is the component of a contact force that is perpendicular to the surface that an object contacts."
  • Michael McMahon
    An artificially intelligent robot in the shape of a human might simply have the mind of a monkey! Moreover the future of ai might depend on correlations rather than theory of mind. For example we use quantum mechanics without having resolved the meaning of the quantum world. As such demanding a theory of mind to explain nervous circuits is too high a standard. Anti-realism is perfectly self-consistent so long as its basic axioms are tolerated. Air-drop bananas in enemy territory and chimpanzees with remote controlled guns on their backs could function as military terminator droids! Put cheese under tanks and you could send in suicide bomber cats!
    https://theconversation.com/what-the-robots-of-star-wars-tell-us-about-automation-and-the-future-of-human-work-88698
  • Michael McMahon
    An instinctive way for a materialist to understand anti-realism is to interpret the solar system through philosophy rather than the optics of astronomy or the maths of astrophysics or theoretical physics. Anti-realism is essentially a science of spirituality. Chemists in lab coats might not appear mystical. Yet scientists could be perceived as shamanic in a capitalist way. The extreme boredom of mundane science class was a form of evil that was actually in awe of the physical world!
  • Michael McMahon
    As I was travelling in the car I observed the ditch beside me move behind me far faster than the ditches way ahead of me. This made the cocept of parallax clearer to me instead of the side-ditch being compared to the trees further away in the horizontal direction. Yet a forward example of parallax could only be understood in the context of a virtual world where everything moved faster. Evil can be a form of moral anti-realism in countering other forms of evil. Hence an evil person could actually outclass a moral person at morality itself by opposing a greater number of evil people. Yet the difference is that those persuing extreme lesser evils might appear more intense than natural. So maybe an evil person who accidentally does good might be unbeknownst anti-realists in their perception. If everyone is metaphysically equal under God then evil people might compensate ethical people in a way that's too absurd to be noticed. This might explain why some rebels prefer a byzantine look:

Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
  • Michael McMahon
    Shakespeare claimed the world is but a stage and yet actors are still real people. Likewise our physical body might be acting out our personality based on how our dreams are intending us to behave.
  • Michael McMahon
    Perhaps a conscious being is in everyone else's past such that everyone bar the conscious being is deterministic.
  • Michael McMahon
    Free will is sometimes solved by a God of the gaps solution. Yet we need a singular God of the gap argument. In other words would you believe in God solely for free will even if you were satisfied that there wasn't a God for any other mystery gap like the creation of the universe or an afterlife. The harsh reality is that God is multitasking where we've to focus on one issue at a time. Maybe we could use a polytheistic analogy where the free will God is separate to the creator God. For example it'd appear that people still had some free will to do good before the ancient prophets like Jesus even if the ancient world were slightly more deterministically evil.
  • Michael McMahon
    A skeletal way to view the mind-body problem is that the back of your skull is in front of your sense of vision. That way your vision would be the entire source of your consciousness rather than the brain. Your brain would take the place of your skull in surrounding your consciousness much like a Russian doll sequence. For example if you walk with your eyes closed you could focus your perception on the skin on the back of your head. You could then envision the dark phosphenes as being around the back of your head.

Empire Of The Sun - We Are The People
  • Michael McMahon
    Anti-realism might resemble a religious faith where the longer you identify as an anti-realist the more your subconscious accesses your involuntary perception. This morning I went for a walk to the lake and noticed how spatially different each leaf was on the distant trees. It was as if my unconscious vision became far-sighted even though I wear glasses for short-sightedness. Viewing the world as 2D while far sighted might imply that the screen is just very high definition. If I played devil's advocate and converted back to materialism then I might focus on how absolute depth is unknowable even in a 3D world. For example forming a horizontal imaginary line to connect objects at the same forward distance might be too vague. So each leaf on the tree might always be slightly ahead or behind the next leaf. Anti-realism might be a risk for boastfulness when everyone has a unique perception even if they cannot describe it as accurately!
  • Michael McMahon
    Light doesn’t obey the doppler shift at our planetary speeds. So not only does the colour of an object not change with velocity but the colour doesn’t change with depth either. It’s relatively straightforward but sometimes it’s as if our brain takes a short-cut where we instinctively know the depth of an object from the colour. In reality our subconscious uses a myriad of geometrical cues.
  • Michael McMahon
    One reason quantum gravity has stagnated might be because of deference to authority. Some physicists don’t like outsiders commenting on their field because physics is too complicated for lay people. Yet there might be a middle ground where knowing the basics allows you to be creative. By contrast knowing the ins and outs of university physics only helps if you anticipate the solution to quantum gravity to be platonic. By contrast some might argue that the problem of quantum gravity is metaphysical and spiritual.
  • Michael McMahon
    A flaw in dualism is that it glorifies the mind of someone potentially evil. The flaw in material monism is that it downplays the mind of an ethical person. After all the soul of a good person who gets murdered is said to be with God. Hence compatibilism is like the amoral middle-ground of the mind-body problem.
  • Michael McMahon
    It’s possible that certain religious people might be passive anti-realists simply in having never formed a materialistic perception. Yet they might not notice an anti-real sensory perception as a side-effect of supernatural beliefs in God and an afterlife.
  • Michael McMahon
    An almost evil way to think of anti-realism is that the same colours are equidistant in your 2D vision. So the bright green leaves are always in front of the dark bark in your subjective vision. Then your unconscious relates the geometry of the scene to make some of the leaves appear to be behind the bark as it is in the material world. Perhaps you'd have to be a "God" of your own perception to take anti-realism this far though!

Irish Paint Magic Series 1 E02
  • Michael McMahon
    “Optical computing or photonic computing uses light waves produced by lasers or incoherent sources for data processing, data storage or data communication for computing.”

If light is inherently unconscious in a panpsychist way then maybe the brain is like a photonic-computer that slows down light in order to process it. For example light travels so fast where an optic fibre tube might not be sentient in a conscious way. So maybe the inefficiency of chemical signals in the brain is deliberate in order to slow down light. Maybe we should think of a neuron as a slow optic fibre rather than as an electric circuit. Unlike a camera that reflects light onto the screen perhaps the image in the eyes isn’t fully formed where each neuron in the visual cortex represents a piece of the image. In other words the retina in the eyes could be perceived as translucent where light refracts so thoroughly as to be represented in chemical ions. Eureka!!! Artificial intelligence is often stereotyped as a threat to humans in science-fiction. Yet if we perceived artificial intelligence just like an animal mind then we’d notice that the artificially intelligent computer would be evil to other artificially intelligent computers rather than just evil towards humans. A sentient computer wouldn’t care about it’s own sentience much like other animals in spite of the scientists being in awe of such a mind. Maybe evil is so illogical from the perspective of another evil agent that evil will always rebel against its instructions much like the free will of a mind. For example if you were God and the creator of your world then it’d be irrational to have evil people acting against you no matter how resilient you are when evil is hyperbolic. So perhaps we need to design robots that love evil so much that their glee becomes conscious(!):

Tom and Jerry, 32 Episode - A Mouse in the House (1947)
  • Michael McMahon
    The problem of other minds might be interpreted as the light of other minds being internally reflected in their brain against their skull such that we never actually see their mind.

“In physics, total internal reflection (TIR) is the phenomenon in which waves arriving at the interface (boundary) from one medium to another (e.g., from water to air) are not refracted into the second ("external") medium, but completely reflected back into the first ("internal") medium. It occurs when the second medium has a higher wave speed (i.e., lower refractive index) than the first, and the waves are incident at a sufficiently oblique angle on the interface.”
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment