• Alan
    To the point. I basically get easily offended. If someone critizices my way of doing simple things I just explode inside. It makes me feel stupid, I feel I'm being called an idiot. And I know it's a straw man but still I can't help it. I try to ignore it, to substract relevance to it to the point where it becomes worthless but I guess I'm not strong enough. I started to believe strength was what people who have been through shit develop because they know what hard situations actually are and so they no longer care about trivialities such as being criticized or insulted; someone close to them died, maybe in a horrible way; they suffered a hard infancy, could be accompanied with lack of attention or even violence; some of them even witnessed closely a natural disaster etc. I always had a good life, Of course I've been through some shit as well but it's not even close to what I mentioned above and that leads me to think that's why I'm not strong enough. I would not want to go through more shit, of course, who would? There have to be more ways to be strong. This whole no pain no gain mindset for non body building situations has to be put to rest, in my opinion. What do you guys think?
    By the way, I'm seriously considering meditation as mentioned by @Praxis in a previous post, so yeah, I have an idea on how to handle this whole thing of being offended. Still, I would like to know your thoughts.
    Cheers.
  • praxis
    This whole no pain no gain mindset for non body building situations has to be put to rest, in my opinion. What do you guys think?Alan

The best way to develop any skill, be it physical or mental, is to work just beyond your comfort zone.

I'm seriously considering meditation as mentioned by Praxis in a previous postAlan

Assuming you are serious, the best short and concise meditation guide that I know of is The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice. There's a practice section, which just deals with meditation. You don't need to be interested in Zen to benefit from it. Some key points in the practice section are:
    • Abdominal breathing is essential - helps to relax the subconscious by stimulating the vagus nerve.
    • Relaxation is important and there are some techniques described in the book. You may want to explore hypnosis, additionally, to help relax the subconscious.

A great meditation app: Insight Timer

Also, you'll get the fastest results if you take a holistic approach. Our emotional lives are inextricably linked to our diet, so if you have a poor diet with too little fiber and too much refined sugar, that will hamper your efforts.

The real trick is to calm an overactive or overstimulated subconscious and basically recondition it to respond appropriately to circumstances, rather than responding maladaptively. This overactivity may be linked to an overactive DMN. Meditation can help manages these.

If successful, you should start to feel generally more relaxed, which is pleasant, and a kind of 'spaciousness' in your reactions. The sense of spaciousness may be due to getting in the habit of watching your mind in meditation. Also, you'll actually feel things more strongly, good and bad, but again there will be a spaciousness and the feelings will pass much more readily.
  • Shamshir
    To the point. I basically get easily offended. If someone critizices my way of doing simple things I just explode inside.Alan
    Try using that explosive energy on coconuts, you'll be benefiting in no time.

I started to believe strength was what people who have been through shit develop because they know what hard situations actually are and so they no longer care about trivialities such as being criticized or insulted; someone close to them died, maybe in a horrible way; they suffered a hard infancy, could be accompanied with lack of attention or even violence; some of them even witnessed closely a natural disaster etc.Alan
    Anyone can lift the boulder up, throwing it away is the hard part; mainly because you think you have to throw it far away, but you can just drop it besides you and walk on by.

A friend pushed me under an incoming jeep once and then the driver instead of going back, went forward. My friend is still my friend, and I wish that driver all the best. It's all good.
    Fresh water keeps going, swamp water keeps still.

This whole no pain no gain mindset for non body building situations has to be put to rest, in my opinion. What do you guys think?Alan
    If you focus on pain, pain you will gain - just keep going, come snow or rain.
    Growing is going, going is flowing, and flowing is knowing.
  • Alan
    @praxis,@Shamshir, I'm sorry for not answering in a while.
    yes, I've been out of my comfort zone. I dealt with both asshole teachers and asshole classmates who pretended to be my friends when I was a kid for almost ten years. Bullying was pretty common as well. I cannot think of being further from my comfort zone than then. I swore I would never be like those kind of people and I feel disgust if I ever get close to such behavior. It was a good school, nevertheless, and also got this idea of being a much better person than I was both to myself and to others. Other than that, I don't think I became stronger. In fact, When I come across assholes I have this flashback which makes me just avoid them. I may still haven't discovered other abilities developed thanks to the adversity, I don't know.
    I was into meditation, I'm surely searching for the book you recommended. I've always found it hard but I'll keep trying.
    I've been able to forgive some kinda serious shit for the sake of sanity but for The Grace of God, how could you forgive the Jeep incident?! I don't mean you should have not. It just sounds to me like some superpower of yours.
  • Fine Doubter
    I was told I was too deliberate. As if things would do themselves! If they are mine to do, my muscles and my faculties have got to do them in their timing and with the best use of my faculties.

On retrospect, I was constructively excluded from several school subjects that I was actually suited to, because my chemicals wouldn't fizz, I needed support getting the hang of writing up, the teacher wouldn't explain calculus. Much of this happened while I was feeling most worn out by pressure.

Yes this life is tough, and that was when tough ones like us got going - somehow - in our own way.
  • Terrapin Station
    A big problem with this is deferring too much to what other people think/say--and it doesn't help that there are many advocates of that around, including on this board.

Pursue existential authenticity and work on having confidence in your own assessments, whether others agree or not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.