• Arne
    which only reinforces my primary message. it is difficult to understand Nietzsche directly.
  • Joshs
    which only reinforces my primary message. it is difficult to understand Nietzsche directly.Arne

I find that true of all the major continental philosophers, which is why there are so many competing camps of interpretation for all of them. It's helpful to use secondary literature in an initial foray into the work, but one should be careful not to rely on that interpretation. Kaufmann turns Nietzsche into a cross between Kierkegaard and Buber, but in my view misses what is most radical about Nietzsche.
  • Arne
    !! I do not disagree with that. Partly because I have not read enough of Nietzsche or those who have. But again, my primary appreciation of Kaufmann is the historical context he provides, particularly regarding what Nietzsche's sister did with his unpublished works following his descent to madness. He would never have condoned the interpretation she gladly pushed upon the Nazis. As for the continental philosophers in general, you may be correct regarding the general public. As for myself and even though other interpretations are useful, I prefer my Heidegger main line. (though sadly, I do not read in German). Give it to me straight doctor, I can take it!!! :smile:
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.