• tim wood
    That is something we all have to accept...and I now accept you are one of those people.Frank Apisa
    And I accept you for some reason appear not to understand that two different things are different. And until you make some progress there, religion is only one of many things you will never understand. Let's try this: number: no one has ever seen one; they're just a guess, yes?
  • Fooloso4
    No...at 82 (83 in August)...I am far from a child.Frank Apisa

Yes Frank. I am aware of your chronological age.
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir
    ↪Frank Apisa
    I run the Fo'c's'le, a boarding house for sailors. Sorry, I reserve my beds for seamen.
    Shamshir

Except for that extra "a" in the last word...I suspect that may be true.
  • Frank Apisa
    tim wood

That is something we all have to accept...and I now accept you are one of those people. — Frank Apisa

And I accept you for some reason appear not to understand that two different things are different. And until you make some progress there, religion is only one of many things you will never understand. Let's try this: number: no one has ever seen one; they're just a guess, yes?
    tim wood

What does that have to do with "believe" is a word that disguises a guess.

Don't let the pressure get to you.

Stay as real as you can.
  • Frank Apisa
    Fooloso4

No...at 82 (83 in August)...I am far from a child. — Frank Apisa

Yes Frank. I am aware of your chronological age.
    Fooloso4

You are aware of what I say my chronological age to be.

Try to be precise...if you are going to continue this pretense of intellectualism.
  • Shamshir
    Well, well! What a turn of events this is! It's new, and I like new, even if it's bad. And this is bad, isn't it? My, my.
  • Fooloso4
    Yes, perhaps you are lying about your age. You do us a service but yourself a disservice by calling your own veracity into question.

Keep digging Frank!

You are evidently still fighting your own demons (or perhaps you were lying when you said that at one time you were "zealous religious"). Now you are zealous about bearing witness to the good news that you do not do believing. Your struggles are your own, but as with many who have been reformed you have a compulsive need to reform others. When you insist that what others believe is a blind guess then it is no longer just about you and whatever your beliefs may or may not be.
  • Frank Apisa
    Fooloso4
    Yes, perhaps you are lying about your age. You do us a service but yourself a disservice by calling your own veracity into question.
    Fooloso4

I did not call my veracity into question. I merely mentioned that you were not being accurate.

You ought to work on that.

Keep digging Frank! — Fool

I will leave the "digging" to you. Although I think you have dug deep enough. Try getting out of your hole.

You are evidently still fighting your own demons (or perhaps you were lying when you said that at one time you were "zealous religious"). Now you are zealous about bearing witness to the good news that you do not do believing. Your struggles are your own, but as with many who have been reformed you have a compulsive need to reform others. When you insist that what others believe is a blind guess then it is no longer just about you and whatever your beliefs may or may not be.

I do not do "believing."

I am merely presenting a cogent argument about the word "believe" when used in a religious discussion context. You seem to resent that. Work on that also.

As for my previous time as a religious person...I grew out of it. As St. Paul said, ""When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

1 Corinthians 13:11
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir
    ↪Frank Apisa
    Well, well! What a turn of events this is! It's new, and I like new, even if it's bad. And this is bad, isn't it? My, my.
    Shamshir

If that is the best you can do...you probably should not have done it.
  • Fool
    You guys keep quoting me. I’m a different fool. Btw this conversation seems rather childish.
  • Shamshir
    The details aren't important. At least not right now. Eternity is on a rather tight deadline. We'll get back to that later.
  • Frank Apisa
    Fool
    You guys keep quoting me. I’m a different fool. Btw this conversation seems rather childish.
    Fool

I'm the guy using "Fool" for that fool who thinks he is a philosopher. I apologize...and will use his/her full name from this point on...although "fool" seems appropriate.
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir
    ↪Frank Apisa
    The details aren't important. At least not right now. Eternity is on a rather tight deadline. We'll get back to that later.
    Shamshir

I can't even figure out why you thought that a clever response, Shamshir. I gotta ease up on your. I see the strain is taking its toll on you.
  • Shamshir
    Aren't you the curious one? You know what they say about curiosity, though, don't you? It killed the intrepid adventurer who really should just be doing exactly what I say at all times.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.