• Ilya B Shambat
    Two major voices came out of the Holocaust: Victor Frankl and Elie Wiesel. Frankl's message was self-empowerment; Wiesel's message was despair. Yet Wiesel became more influential than Frankl.

How can this be, some may say. Isn't positive attitude everything? Don't you have to be positive in order to be successful, and aren't negative people losers? Well there is nothing loserish about Elie Wiesel. He became a crusader for human rights, and his influence extend far beyond the Jewish community.

In fact there have been many people who were negative who achieved significant things. Nixon was negative. Charles Dickens was negative. Lou Reed was negative. Russians tend to have a negative outlook, but for several decades Russia credibly rivaled America for leadership of the world. Clearly what we know about positive attitude being prerequisite for success is untrue.

Positive thinking causes more problems than it solves. You think positive, you fail to anticipate problems, you do foolish things. Negative thinking is not the solution either. The negative thinker would believe that our problems are too much for us to solve, which is untrue. The solution is real thinking, where we analyze the conditions and put into place rightful solutions to our problems.

Indeed quite often the positive thinker would become a bully, attacking people who do not have positive attitude without figuring out why they don't have a positive attitude. I'll give you a hint. It consists of two words: Global warming. We have problems up the wazoo, and in some cases a negative attitude is justified. What is not justified is inaction in the face of these problems – something that we regrettably see both from people professing a positive attitude, who want to deny these problems, and from people possessing a negative attitude, who think that these problems are too much for us to solve.

So I say do away with both positive thinking and negative thinking and try real thinking. And pursuant real thinking, real action to solve the problems of the world.
  • Amber Anderson
    Positive thinking causes more problems than it solves. You think positive, you fail to anticipate problems, you do foolish things. Negative thinking is not the solution either. The negative thinker would believe that our problems are too much for us to solve, which is untrue. The solution is real thinking, where we analyze the conditions and put into place rightful solutions to our problems.

This simplifies the idea of thinking to a point that is not real. I consider myself a positive thinker--even read The Power of Positive Thinking by Peale back in my teens and have always strove for optimism. However, this does not take away the reality of facing problems. A realist can be a positive thinker if you believe reality extends to an energetic force. For example, I am flying tonight--a complicated flight plan with three dogs across three continents--many things might go wrong. I have planned for the potential problems, but I am also choosing to think positively--to put out to the universe that everything is going to go swimmingly. I actually will take the time to meditate today and visualize the plans going perfectly, so as to send that energy and possibility out to the world. And if it doesn't? I will be the more calm and rational to deal with the problems that arise.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.