• I like sushi
    As there have been some rather dubious claims made recently:

If we have A that is and isn’t alongside B that is and isn’t then are either A or B true or false?

A is absurd and B is absurd. They don’t follow the basic rules of logical discourse.

It is perverse to claim either as possessing a truth value (‘true’ or ‘false’). Such is one trick of the mystic.

Note: Any proposed ontological and epistemic value of A or B is redundant due to the absurdity of contradictory claims to being.
  • TheGreatArcanum
    If we have A that is and isn’t alongside B that is and isn’t then are either A or B true or false?I like sushi

this is incoherent, what does this even mean? you need to be more concise in your language, you have a very noticeable problem with clarity. you’re sounding like a muggle.
  • I like sushi
    I am saying that A and B are absurd, not false. They cannot have truth value nor be regarded in an ontological or epistemic sense.

I’m sure you’ll disagree, but I hope you don’t?
  • tim wood
    They cannot have truth value nor be regarded in an ontological or epistemic sense.I like sushi
    Take care to make the distinction between true/not true, and true/false. Two different animals.
  • I like sushi
    What? A and B are absurdities. They cannot be true, false, not true or not false.

A is A, is, A is not A.

B is B, is, B is not B.

The trick of the mystic playing with logic is to run two absurdities parallel to make them appear like legit axioms that can be taken seriously.
  • DingoJones

Can you give an example of a parallel to your A,B,B,A example from this forums recent dubious claims?
    Lets just speak plainly about your issue.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Lets just speak plainly about your issue.DingoJones

I love plain speech. But it is blood in the water for the language Nazis.
  • tim wood
    A and B are absurdities. They cannot be true, false, not true or not false.I like sushi

A simple truth table yields false. But (Wiki): "In specialized usage, absurdity is related to extremes in bad reasoning or pointlessness in reasoning." This seems to cover this thread. The propositions themselves are merely invalid/false.
  • I like sushi
    I’m simply saying that A is not A necessarily leads to absurdity. If the propositions set out are inherently meaningless they don’t have any use.

Much like saying “the yellow banana is blue”. The difference in pure logic being that we’re not attaching our ideas directly to concrete objects. I am saying the phrase, regardless of what is it, is useless if people say it is contrary. The phrase above (banana) has semantic weight, but when we say “p” or “q” we’re not addressing the meaning directly, and if we’re saying some given phrase is and isn’t we’re not saying anything applicable to truth values. If there is no truth value there is no ontological or epistemic distinction.

I was asking about whether a person opposed this or not. They didn’t answer. The point was to see how far off track they are and whether or not they are worth engaging with - if they oppose what I’ve said then I’d like to see how they can (they cannot and no one can as far as any sane person can tell).
  • tim wood
    I’m simply saying that A is not A necessarily leads to absurdity. If the propositions set out are inherently meaningless they don’t have any use.I like sushi
    Maybe this: absurdity is a judgment about something, not what the thing is. 2+2=31 is false - and absurd. π = 3.2547 is also false, but maybe not absurd. I am conscious of not being crystal clear, here. But do you take the point anyway?
  • TheMadFool
    Absurdity is basically related to impossibility. Claiming the impossible e.g. a contradiction is absurd. Attempting the impossible e.g. searching for the meaning of life where there's none is absurd. While it's considered a vice in logic I think absurdity is an important aspect of human endeavor - planes, radio, tv, space exploration were all absurd at one point in time
  • I like sushi
    My point was more about setting up propositions that refuse analysis. That is pretending that A is not A as a genuine claim and calling such p so it cannot be directly seen as utterly absurd.

I can then say p OR not p, but the point is hidden within the statement it says something is and isn’t. Regarding only the p as important is ignoring what is within (the issue of inference).
  • TheMadFool
    If I understand you correctly you're referring to hidden contradictions so deeply embedded that it's difficult to detect.
  • Mephist
    My point was more about setting up propositions that refuse analysisI like sushi

If you can set up a proposition that refuse analysis, it means that your logic is wrong. The purpose of logic (the reason it was created) is to rule out all propositions that refuse analysis
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment