• Jonmel
    I'm posting this from a personal perspective, just theorising a few things which you guys might be able to offer some of your insight on.

Briefly, I've been out of work for a few weeks (starting back again next week). This has been more out of choice than lack of work - taking a bit of time out to get a few jobs done around the house and for personal introspection. Fortunately I'm in a stable enough financial position after pretty much working continuously (barring holidays) for over twenty years now, physically and mentally fit and healthy.

Anyway I've been through a bizarre ritual of sleeping massive amounts of the day. A typical day might include retiring for bed at 8:30pm, waking at 9:30am, sleep again at 11:30am for an hour or two, then again between 3:00pm and 6:00pm. The actual timings vary but the number of hours asleep, and I always sleep extremely deeply and usually with vivid dreams, probably around 16 hours per day or more.

If I was concerned I would probably see a doctor and no doubt have a clinical diagnosis of chronic fatigue. However I have no doubt I will 'snap out' of this routine as soon as I return to work. I am fully functional, and probably more alert than usual, when I'm awake. I'm being extremely productive with the hours I do have and love these deep sleeps, also keeping a dream diary which is fascinating.

My take is that I am actually going through a process of metamorphosis, much like a caterpillar turns into a butterfly or an awakening/ rebirth on a human level. Its almost like a healing process, each day my thoughts and attitudes seem to change and I'm essentially shedding old habits and becoming a 'new' person.

If I were to believe western medical advice or be in a more vulnerable financial position, then I would no doubt be told that I'm being lazy and forced to undertake a strict regime of normal sleep patterns, diet, exercise and probably drug induced sleep if needs be. However I believe that my body is undergoing a natural process and needs this time. I've always been 'in tune' with my natural body cycles and although I'm sure there is no scientific reason for this it seems that human metamorphosis is something which is real and could even possibly explain the condition of chronic fatigue syndrome.
  • Shawn

Very interesting. I suggest you get some bloodwork done, and maybe get an MRI done.
  • I like sushi
    This is perfectly normal and science has a lot to say about this as well as historical documentation. The Romans and Greeks often talked about a “second sleep” where they would go to sleep at sundown and wake at midnight to work for a few hours before taking a “second sleep”.

What is likely happening is you’re natural circadian rhythm is kicking in - it is certainly scientific being part of your biology. I can pretty much guarantee that if you continued in this manner you’d find yourself sleeping fewer and fewer hours. I speak from personal experience. For the first few weeks I just slept and ate when I wanted to and spent my time just thinking about life. I ended up falling into a routine where I was going to sleep at around 8-9am and then waking at 11-12, then having a 30-40min nap around 6 or 7pm ... basically I wasn’t sleeping more than 5 hours a day and was hyper-alert in my waking hours and felt better for it.

Note: Sleeping 6-8 hours a night in one block is NOT a normal sleeping pattern. This is due to societal conditioning and the fact that electrical lighting now floods our current environment.

Seeing a doctor may be useful. Just have a check up to make sure everything is okay and not a symptom of some underlying illness. If you’re fine don’t listen to what the doctor says about your current habits because they likely don’t know a damn thing about this other than what they’re told to parrot as ‘healthy’ - it’s a matter of protecting themselves from culpability.

If you find yourself thinking ‘too much’ be careful. It is quite possible to forget to sleep and eat if you start thinking too deeply about things and it is a dangerous place to go.

Note: changes and disruptions to sleeping habits can trigger psychotic episodes - such things are highly correlated to instances of schizophrenia and other mental disorders. People are often misdiagnosed as being schizophrenic simply because they have an instance of psychosis induced by such stress and strains.
  • Jonmel
    Very interesting. I suggest you get some bloodwork done, and maybe get an MRI done.Wallows

Yeah sorry just to clarify; I've not had blood tests, MRI scans or sought any other medical advice regarding this condition. If these symptoms of excessive sleep continue for a prolonged period outside of my normal work routine then I will, without hesitation, consult a doctor for advice. If medical consultation were to occur I will also try to document the results of any tests on this forum if I think it would offer further evidence of any known medical conditions.

As it stands I have been enjoying the peace of doing as I please each day and so I am merely musing on my own sleep habits and whether this could offer insight concerning this unexplained condition.
  • Shawn

OK, just pointing out that there might be some underlying cause here. Perhaps, emerging. We are at a loss here to comment on your health here.

Best regards.
  • Athena
    It appears this was the last activity for Jonmel. I want to raise awareness of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is easy to diagnose. It is a condition that prevents a person from having deep sleep and the result is excessive tiredness because effectively it is equal to not sleeping at all. What happens is the air passage closes when a person goes into a deep sleep and this keeps the person in a light sleep. That, of course, interferes with essential body functions such as the work of hormones in repairing the body and mind. The problem is corrected with a small machine that uses air pressure to the airway open.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.