• TheMadFool
    Terms:

1.Symbiosis: a beneficial partnership between two different organisms

2. Superorganism: synergetically acting individuals of the same species

3. Consciousness: self-awareness and intentionality

4. Artificial Intelligence: A machine consciousness

These are my definitions and I hope they are adequate for this discussion. Wikipedia has pages on all of the above if you want more information.

Biology informs us that life began as single-celled and then evolved into complex mutlicellular forms such as ourselves. This process involves symbiosis among the different types of cells that constitute our body, each cell depending on others for nutrition, protection, etc.

Humans are multicellular organisms and are conscious as defined above. We reflect on our own selves with our minds and senses and have intentions. Though the source of consciousness, if biology is correct, is the physical cells themselves, neuronal networks in our brains to be specific, the cells themselves are ''not'' conscious. I put the ''not'' in quotes because it's possible that each cell is conscious but we're unable to sense it. This point will be clearer when I discuss the superorganism below.

A city is a superorganism consisting of many individuals cooperating with eachother. What I'd like to draw your attention to is cities behave like conscious individuals. For instance the Mayor's office is the head, the police force is the immune system, etc. In other words there's no difference between an organism (a human made of cells) and a superorganism (a city made of humans) in terms of behavior, especially in aspects we may attribute consciousness to. In the simplest of terms, a man has a brain and a city has the Mayor's office.

My question here is could it be that a superorganism, in this case a city, is actually conscious and self-aware just like we are, composed of billions of cells?

Conversely, do you think our cells are conscious but we're simply unaware of it?

A Turing test doesn't actually prove artificial intelligence. It would giving a passing grade to a very proficient human mimic. Why is it so? Simply because we don't have access to other minds and must infer intelligence or consciousness from behavior.

Given so, I think a city, superorganism, will behave like a conscious self-aware human and pass the equivalent of a Turing test. This leads us to ask the question: if we can't differentiate ''true'' consciousness from a very good ''mimic'' what is so great about consciousness?
  • BrianW
    My question here is could it be that a superorganism, in this case a city, is actually conscious and self-aware just like we are, composed of billions of cells?TheMadFool

Yes. However, I think the level of intelligence (interaction and response) determines to a large part how close it will be with respect to reflecting a singular human consciousness. Since we humans are still chaotic in most of our interactions, especially group activities of such a large-scale, it may be that we can't direct our actions in unison or make a unified choice. A good example would be the elections - even when the options are minimal, e.g. just two candidates, there's still a big gap in terms of trust, the level of acceptance, loyalty, expectations, etc.

Conversely, do you think our cells are conscious but we're simply unaware of it?TheMadFool

Yes. But this is a personal choice because I also think every part of reality including atoms are conscious. That's because for me consciousness is about awareness (sensibility) and response (reaction) which I think atoms manifest a rudimentary level of.

what is so great about consciousness?TheMadFool

Nothing. I think we make a big deal about it because we are not as familiar with that kind of perspective.

Imagine if we attuned our perspectives to identifying consciousness or its qualities in all aspects of reality at all times. Firstly, I think we will realise consciousness can be explored outside our brains (intellect) because there are loops of sensation and response which involve the spinal cord but not the brain. Also, we will discover that whatever can be said of humans can be applied to all parts of reality even if just in analogy, though some aspects will have a much closer resemblance than others. Lastly, we will discover that whenever we refer to our consciousness we are pointing to an activity or an influence which may mean that it's about energy/force and the cause-effect paradigm which are both factors of reality and are not limited to humans.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.