• Judaka
    I have spent time believing people were mostly a result of nurture and then later on, deciding it was actually the opposite. I care about the subject for many reasons, one being that I am wary of the assumptions that I need to make in order to come to opinions about things and people. It is of course, highly significant as to whether the way someone is can be characterised as a level of competence and the result of their choices or as the result of particular unavoidable biological circumstances. In their emotions, their psychology, their personality, socially, intellectually people are different and these differences are a mix of causes found both in nurture and nature but it's so complicated to interpret.

Even for myself, I do not know with certainty, which parts of me are nurture or nature and I don't know what can be changed or how and so I cannot possibly expect to know for others.

Despite believing the way people are can mostly be attributed to nature, I do not always act as though I assume the way others are is the result of their nature. It appears as though people are making choices, it appears as though people could make the choice to do things differently or to be different but it isn't always that simple.

I think even if you are not as nature aligned as me, this is still a question for all of us. How do we think about others, treat others and so on? Should we assume their characteristics are choices and nurtured or part of their nature and generally speaking what implications do you think each has?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.