• Devans99
    This seems paradoxical: eternal and finite.TheMadFool

It's not if you think in 4d spacetime terms; then eternal objects have finite dimensions in space and time. So in 4d spacetime, we for example look like long thing snakes (the lengthwise dimension being time). So we can be eternal but finite at the same time. So can the universe.
  • pomophobe

I think you'd like the part that starts at the bottom of page 62.
    http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~nunez/web/SingaporeF.pdf

More generally, I suggest checking out this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Mathematics_Comes_From
  • TheMadFool
    It's not if you think in 4d spacetime terms; then eternal objects have finite dimensions in space and time. So in 4d spacetime, we for example look like long thing snakes (the lengthwise dimension being time). So we can be eternal but finite at the same time. So can the universe.Devans99

Nothing lasts forever?! We, at least I, had a beginning and will die at some point.
  • Devans99
    My favourite model of the universe is a torus in 4d spacetime with the time dimension running around the outside of the torus. The torus would be thin at one point (the Big Bang / Big Crunch) as fat at the opposing point (maximum extent of the universe). 'Now' would be like a spotlight rotating around the outside of the torus. In this model we all live the same lives again and again endlessly.
  • TheMadFool
    My favourite model of the universe is a torus in 4d spacetime with the time dimension running around the outside of the torus. The torus would be thin at one point (the Big Bang / Big Crunch) as fat at the opposing point (maximum extent of the universe). 'Now' would be like a spotlight rotating around the outside of the torus. In this model we all live the same lives again and again endlessly.Devans99

A picture would help.
  • Devans99
    Not really set up to do that. Imagine a snake that has swallowed a crocodile and has its own tail in its mouth.
  • TheMadFool
    Not really set up to do that. Imagine a snake that has swallowed a crocodile and has its own tail in its mouth.Devans99

Hmmm...Are you sure about this? Isn't a torus a donut? What's a 4D torus? Sorry for repeating the question but I'd really like to know how you reconcile "eternity" with "finite".
  • Devans99
    To exist permanently, the only option is to exist outside time - if you exist inside time 'forever' then you have no temporal start, no coming into being, IE you can't exist.

The trick is when imagining 4D, is to think of 3D and drop one spacial dimension. So think of 2 spacial plus one time dimension as being a 3D object - the universe.

A torus is a donut. A 4d torus is to a 3d torus as a sphere is to a circle.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.