• orcestra
    When I was 12 I was at school. There was a "permission" form thrown at my parents. The form didn't really explain anything. I assume that they signed it. I don't know. The next week my class was taken to the school medical centre. We were told to strip down to our underwear. Then we were lined up in aphabetical order. When I got to the front of the line I was examined for pelvic tilt, scoliosis and undescended testicles. The last part involved me removing my underwear. So at that point I said clearly that I wanted the exam to stop. The doctor heard me and continued anyway. I didn't tell anyone. I didn't know what to think.

Only later did I think about it. I worked out that I had no legal rights because there was no one else in the room. I also didn't see any realistic avenue of complaint. So I decided to do it myself. When I was 18 I went to the doctor's medical room where he worked [NOT at the school] and smashed my teeth 2 cm from his face. Then I spat at him and swore at him. My final move that I had rehearsed the night before was the jump side smash; I jumped in the air and smashed my teeth sideways as though I was about to cut his face sideways. He ran off.

A month later I saw him there again. Not intentionally. He was scared witless when he saw me. He looked destroyed. I felt bad. So I didn't do anything else to him. That said, I was right to do what I did. He touched me; I didn't touch him. So what he did by continuing the exam was worse. Nobody else agrees with me. I lost all my friends when they heard about me doing this. But to me revenge was my right. OK. I consider the laws in question and how far I want to go. But my life wasn't worth living; every night I went to the mirror and saw his face in it and smashed the mirror. The only way to stop me feeling like that was to attack him. Thus an attack was a totally ethical choice. Indeed to me the only ethical action at my disposal.

Even worse I mentioned this many years later on facebook. My friends who never went o that school had at the time heard rumours about it. That made me feel worse. If people knew about it then the school absolutely shouldn;t have been doing it. A psychologist also told me that it happened because it was a private school; "at a government school there's no way such a procedure would have gone ahead". So I have a lifelong distrust of private schools.

Thank you
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.