• camus-enthusiast
    I've heard them used in similar contexts, but I'm not sure if there are any differences between them.
  • YuZhonglu
    It depends on how you personally define them.
  • Shawn
    In one case the possibility of content seems to be affirmed and in the other denied.
  • Wheatley
    Solipsism is the belief that there are no other minds. Epistemological nihilism is the view that we can't know anything.
  • Harry Hindu
    Solipsism is the belief that there are no other minds. Epistemological nihilism is the view that we can't know anything.Purple Pond
    Solipsism isn't just the belief that there are no minds, but that there is no external world - nothing beyond my own experiences - anti-realism.

Both are incoherent and defeat themselves, or at the very least require a new definition of "knowledge".

For one, if we can't know anything, then how do we know what Epistemological nihilism is? In solipsism, "mind" (the one thing that a solipsist claims to exist) becomes incoherent.
  • GodlessGirl
    Am I correct that there is also global skepticism which would be in between solipsism and epistemological nihilism?
  • Terrapin Station
    Ontological solipsists are saying that they definitely know something. They're not saying that knowledge isn't possible. What ontological solipsists know is that only one mind exists.

Epistemological solipsists are saying that they don't know a specific thing: whether anything exists other than their own mind. They're not denying any other knowledge.

Epistemological nihilists are saying that knowledge isn't possible period. Arguably we could say that epistemological nihilists are simply saying that knowledge isn't objective, but on the standard definition of knowledge and a standard philosophical sense of the subjective/objective distinction, no one should be arguing that knowledge is objective, unless they have a very weird ontology where beliefs can somehow obtain outside of minds.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.