• Baden

Visually, I can do as far as a triple, presuming 'seeing' the sentences counts as thinking them. My auditories, if I'm trying to deliberately create them, seem to cancel each other out.

I imagine we both had the same kind of 'quasi-auditory echo', I don't want to say that I literally experienced sound, or even something like a memory of sound, though it was probably closer to the latter than the former.fdrake

Maybe, although with a single sentence, visualizing it and hearing it are totally different for me: one is a picture and one is a voice (not mine).
  • Baden
    The main point is we think in stereo whereas @S and co are stuck in boring mono-mentalicity.
  • Wheatley
    As it happens, I have a degree (Zoology)...And with regard to your earlier complaints about me correcting your language, I have a degree in that too and have taught at universities up to Master's level in the field. -- Baden

I rest my case.
  • fdrake
    Visually, I can do as far as a triple, presuming 'seeing' the sentences counts as thinking them. My auditories, if I'm trying to deliberately create them, seem to cancel each other out.Baden

Can you do more if you visualise filling out a naughts and crosses board with the sentences?

I like----|I like----| I like
    oranges| apples | bananas
    -------------------------------
    I like----| I like----| I like
    pears---| grapes-| kiwi

And so on.

I don't get any auditory impression when I visualise the board, but for the 'two speakers' one I did. I can't get any auditory impression past 2 either.
  • Baden

:lol: You win that one.
  • Baden

I can't maintain any coherence past three no matter how I try to mentally organize it. As for auditory impression, I can visualize with or without that but that impression is just a jumbled mess when the strawberry and banana come together at the end of the sentences.
  • S
    The main point is we think in stereo whereas S and co are stuck in boring mono-mentalicity.Baden

I think I just interpreted the opening post more dohaggertertially than you two. I think the original poster meant thinking the sentences in an auditory manner, not a visual manner, for example.
  • S
    As it happens, I have a degree (Zoology)...And with regard to your earlier complaints about me correcting your language, I have a degree in that too and have taught at universities up to Master's level in the field. -- Baden

I rest my case.
    Purple Pond

I pick up your case. Walk over to you with it in my hand. And swing it as hard as I can, aiming for the back of your head. I then let out a warrior cry as the impact of the blow fractures your skull, and you collapse to the floor in a pool of blood.
  • Wheatley

Nonsense. You can't even simultaneously hold a case and walk with it.
  • S
    Nonsense. You can't even simultaneously hold a case and walk with it.Purple Pond

Nonsense. I just did all of that whilst eating a three course meal, performing a cartwheel, and banging your mum.

Reveal
    Two out of ten, in case you were wondering.
  • Wheatley
    I see I'm fighting a losing battle. You're really good at being nasty to other people. I'm not.
  • RBS
    :) dude why would you do that to poor S....
  • S
    I see I'm fighting a losing battle. You're really good at being nasty to other people. I'm not.Purple Pond

Sheesh. I'm glad you have a sense of humour about these things instead of taking it personally. I bet you'd be real fun to be around at a stand-up comedy gig. If it makes you feel any better, I'll raise the two to a three, because now I feel sorry for you.
  • Baden
    As it happens, I have a degree (Zoology)...And with regard to your earlier complaints about me correcting your language, I have a degree in that too and have taught at universities up to Master's level in the field. -- BadenPurple Pond

By the way, I apologize to anyone who had to read that arrogant-sounding reveal. It was said in a moment of high irritation with someone I now just blissfully ignore. Anyway, it's obvious my mental gym is better equipped than @S's but @fdrake has us both well covered, methinks.
  • S
    By the way, I apologize to anyone who had to read that arrogant-sounding reveal.Baden

Accepterly apologed. You should be more modest, like me.

It was said in a moment of high irritation.Baden

Yeah. You should be more coolheaded, like me.

Anyway, it's obvious my mental gym is better equipped than S's but @fdrake has us both well covered, methinks.Baden

Methinks "methinks" sounds like you're trying too hard to sound like an intelekuwal.
  • Wheatley
    Sheesh. I'm glad you have a sense of humour about these things instead of taking it personally.S
    I really admire your sense of humor. I really do. Not everyone can talk about bashing people in the head with a case, and laugh about it. You really have a skill there.
  • fdrake

I like to imagine a world where people who end up having unpleasant arguments on the internet have to release a diss track against their foe. People who end up having lots of unpleasant arguments will end up with terribly rushed diss tracks, whereas more innocent people can spit pure words of wickedness that they merc the riddim wid.
  • S
    I really admire your sense of humor. I really do. Not everyone can talk about bashing people in the head with a case, and laugh about it. You really have a skill there.Purple Pond

Thanks. I really believe you. I really do. I think it might have something to with the fact that I'm British. Or the fact that I'm a serial killer.
  • Wheatley
    I think it might have something to with the fact that I'm British. Or the fact that I'm a serial killer.S
    And I'm American. We already won our independence from you. Now leave us alone.
  • Baden

I diss by Limrik:

There was a young poster called S
    An unphilosophical pest
    To Pond he was crude
    All actin' the dude
    'Til Baden did diss him to rest

Ali G, eat your heart out. :grin:
  • S
    You misspelt "poser".
  • S
    And I'm American.Purple Pond

You realise we're in public, right?
  • fdrake

like that tat amor fati
    ideas are all skin deep
    a reactionary knee
    jerk if you disagree

Brap, shout out to mandem.
  • Wheatley
    You realise we're in public, right?S

And full of witnesses, the way I like it.
  • S
    I see I'm fighting a losing rap battle. You're really good at being brap brap brap to other people. I'm not.
  • fdrake
    I see I'm fighting a losing rap battle.S

I have no idea why but this made me laugh a lot.
  • Baden
    I see I'm fighting a losing rap battleS

Doubly so, as being stereo-mentalic, we can direct both our disses simultaneously at you.
  • Baden
    Double-simulataneouslicitously.
  • S
    dude why would you do that to poor S....RBS

It's mere-s. Get it right.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.