• Janus
    I've no idea what you're saying here...creativesoul

Language enables questioning.

Strictly speaking, one need not be fully embedded in cultural mores and customs in order to question them. One can reasonably, rationally, sensibly, respectfully, and honourably question and/or negate some core tenet of a foreign worldview without previous assent.creativesoul

Sure, with the knowledge and understanding that is enabled by language we can question whatever we want; the only prerequisite being that we do understand what we are questioning. We can't question a foreign worldview if we don't either speak the language or have access to translations that make it intelligible to us.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Strictly speaking, one need not be fully embedded in cultural mores and customs in order to question them. One can reasonably, rationally, sensibly, respectfully, and honourably question and/or negate some core tenet of a foreign worldview without previous assent.
    — creativesoul

Sure, with the knowledge and understanding that is enabled by language we can question whatever we want; the only prerequisite being that we do understand what we are questioning. We can't question a foreign worldview if we don't either speak the language or have access to translations that make it intelligible to us.
    Janus

Language lends to abstract thought/belief - understanding. But understanding of what we are questioning is only necessary at the point which knowledge lacks, otherwise why would we question? Questioning implies a deficiency of knowledge. Ignorance is a very real thing, and ignorant thought/belief has no problem filling in the gaps, where it lacks knowledge (I'm absolutely certain I'm doing that here). Consider the foreign world view, it is not uncommon to see the ignoramus impose familiar cultural mores onto a foreign culture, even going so far as to deem an entire group evil based on zero knowledge of its culture, except that it is apparently alien. I only need to understand that Arabic or Islamic culture is different in order to judge it as evil...which I do, just kidding. :chin:

This is one example of the type of moral thought/belief called "judgement". Judgement does not require understanding, and, probably in most cases, involves a high degree of irrationality and ignorance.

I would be so bold as to venture: in judgement, where moral principles are applied, morality becomes most actual...it is where morality comes to a head.
  • creativesoul
    What is thought/belief in the first place? How are we defining it? It is impossible to determine what makes them common until we do this.

After reviewing earlier discussions, thought/belief was associated with meaning. But I never got to the point at which we specifically defined it.
    Merkwurdichliebe

Actually, thought/belief have been set out many times over here. While it's been mostly a snippet here and there, a few posts went into greater detail, and there have been quite a few dedicated to thought/belief and what they all consist in/of. There was what seemed to be some enthusiasm afterwards. There was not anything that resembled a rejection and/or objection by you. So, I assumed you'd agreed, I suppose, to all of the different snippets and subsequent delineations.

I entered into this discussion by noting a broad-based academic deficiency regarding the distinction between thought/belief and thinking about thought/belief. This has been discussed more than once as well, without much in the way of objection/rejection.

What has not been set out is how we can arrive at a universal criterion for all thought/belief. As mentioned earlier, I looked towards thought/belief statements for starters...

All statements of thought/belief consists entirely of predication. All predication is correlation. Not all correlation is predication. All correlation presupposes the existence of it's own content, and is meaningful to the creature drawing the correlation/connection/association between the different things. All thought/belief consists entirely of correlations, connections, and/or associations drawn between different things. There are no examples to the contrary. That serves as a minimalist criterion with maximum scope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's also a bit of clarity needed. has called me to task, and for good reason. We do not want to fall into anthropomorphism. We do not want to attribute human thought. belief, tendencies, and/or mental abilities to non-human animals. Avoiding anthropomorphism is and always has been a guiding principle and/or standard of mine.

However, at the same time, if thought/belief is amenable to evolution, then it must somehow exist in it's entirety prior to language acquisition/use in such a way that it can and does evolve into what we commonly call our own thought/belief. The alternative is to deny that non-linguistic creatures are capable of thinking/believing anything at all which is absurd on it's face, and would render language acquisition a process that does not require pre-existing thought/belief. As mentioned a few times heretofore, such a stance would have tremendous difficulty accounting for processes such as learning the names of things.

Yet, the potential to mistakenly attribute thought/belief that only humans are capable of to non human creatures remains quite high. That is particularly true if and when we do not have a good understanding of what all human thought/belief have in common that makes them what they are.

With the framework of thought/belief provided, we can and ought avoid anthropomorphism by virtue of carefully noting the content of the correlations(the thought/belief content). All thought/belief(correlational) content exists in it's entirety prior to becoming a part of the correlation. Here is where existential dependency plays a role as well. For example...

Morals are existentially dependent upon complex language acquisition and use replete with moral thought/belief that renders moral judgment(expresses consent/dissent regarding whether or not some thought, belief, and/or behaviour is acceptable). That is to perform comparative assessment between one's own morality and the behaviour in question. Thus, there can be no such correlations drawn by a creature devoid of morality. There is no prelinguistic moral judgment.

That's just a quick application of what I'm putting forth, and/or arguing for.

I understand that this seems at odds with no prelinguistic creature accepting and/or liking being harmed by another. Reconciliation seems needed.

Moral thought/belief does not require morality. Moral judgment does. Not all moral thought/belief is judgment. All moral judgment is moral thought/belief. All moral thought/belief is about acceptable/unacceptable thought, belief, and/or behaviour...

Easy enough.
  • creativesoul
    Language lends to abstract thought/belief - understanding. But understanding of what we are questioning is only necessary at the point which knowledge lacks, otherwise why would we question? Questioning implies a deficiency of knowledge. Ignorance is a very real thing, and ignorant thought/belief has no problem filling in the gaps, where it lacks knowledge (I'm absolutely certain I'm doing that here). Consider the foreign world view, it is not uncommon to see the ignoramus impose familiar cultural mores onto a foreign culture, even going so far as to deem an entire group evil based on zero knowledge of its culture, except that it is apparently alien. I only need to understand that Arabic or Islamic culture is different in order to judge it as evil...which I do, just kidding. :chin:

This is one example of the type of moral thought/belief called "judgement". Judgement does not require understanding, and, probably in most cases, involves a high degree of irrationality and ignorance.
    Merkwurdichliebe

While there is an underlying sentiment that is agreeable here, I would suggest a starkly different accounting practice; one that avoids attributing agency to knowledge and ignorance.

You're right though to note that one can condemn another culture based upon inadequate and/or even outright false thought/belief about that culture.

I think that Janus was noting that prior to criticizing a foreign worldview, some understanding of that worldview must be had. Otherwise, the criticism is of something else.
  • creativesoul

So...

Are we all in agreement that morals are existentially dependent upon common language use and/or acquisition? All morals are existentially dependent upon language.

Culture is the source of morals.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    All statements of thought/belief consists entirely of predication. All predication is correlation. Not all correlation is predication.creativesoul

Could you elaborate on the distinction/relation between predication and correlation?
  • creativesoul

Sure.

Predication is a linguistic practice which draws a meaningful correlation between something and what is said about that something. Typically the grammatical form of subject/predicate.

Not all correlation is linguistic.

Pavlov's dog and any number of other everyday examples bear witness to a language-less creature drawing correlations between different things. Note, I'm not agreeing with Pavlov's assessment or the convention at the time. The involuntary salivation shows expectation. Expectation is more than stimulus/response. The dog thought/believed that it was going to be fed.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Are we all in agreement that morals are existentially dependent upon common language use and/or acquisition? All morals are existentially dependent upon language.

Culture is the source of morals.
    creativesoul

I agree. And culture is a complex of many dynamics: prelinguistic, linguistic, individual, collective, learning and teaching.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Sure.

Predication is a linguistic practice which draws a meaningful correlation between something and what is said about that something. Typically the grammatical form of subject/predicate.

creativesoul

Thanks. And, I agree.

Moral thought/belief obviously requires predication. Would you say all moral thought/belief is predication?
  • creativesoul
    Sure.

Pavlov's dog and any number of other everyday examples bear witness to a language-less creature drawing correlations between different things.
    — creativesoul

Thanks. And, I agree.

Moral thought/belief obviously requires predication. Would you say all moral thought/belief is predication?
    Merkwurdichliebe

But...

I don't agree with that. Not all moral thought/belief requires predication. Moral judgment requires predication(language). I've been at pains to distinguish between moral judgment and moral thought/belief. I've just finished doing so - once again - here on this page. It's in the same post after the portion you responded to.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Moral judgment requires predication. I've been at pains to distinguish between moral judgment and moral thought/belief. It seems that you do not distinguish between the two.creativesoul

I might. How do you distinguish them?

creativesoul

It looks like you are saying all thought/belief is reducible to correlation including moral thought/belief, and that judgement is predicated on moral correlations.
  • creativesoul
    It looks like you are saying all thought/belief is reducible to correlation including moral thought/belief, and that judgement is predicated on moral correlations.Merkwurdichliebe

Moral judgment. Not all judgment.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Ok, I'm understanding you better.

Morals are existentially dependent upon complex language acquisition and use replete with moral thought/belief that renders moral judgment(expresses consent/dissent regarding whether or not some thought, belief, and/or behaviour is acceptable). That is to perform comparative assessment between one's own morality and the behaviour in question. Thus, there can be no such correlations drawn by a creature devoid of morality. There is no prelinguistic moral judgment.

That's just a quick application of what I'm putting forth, and/or arguing for.

I understand that this seems at odds with no prelinguistic creature accepting and/or liking being harmed by another. Reconciliation seems needed.
    creativesoul

Prelinguistic correlation holds motivational significance. Accepting/liking is a complex impulse in prelinguistic thought/belief. It is probably associated with the autonomic processes of the limbic unit as externally modified by cultural factors (if it's a social animal in question). In this process, no conceptual meaning can be abstracted, and moral thought/belief requires abstract conceptualization that charges its correlations with a deeper motivational valence. Please correct me if I am off.
  • creativesoul
    Prelinguistic correlation holds motivational significance. Accepting/liking is a complex impulse in prelinguistic thought/belief. It is probably associated with the autonomic processes of the limbic unit as externally modified by cultural factors (if it's a social animal in question). In this process, no conceptual meaning can be abstracted, and moral thought/belief requires abstract conceptualization that charges its correlations with a deeper motivational valence. Please correct me if I am off.Merkwurdichliebe

I think the below says it better...

Moral thought/belief does not require morality. Moral judgment does. Not all moral thought/belief is judgment. All moral judgment is moral thought/belief. All moral thought/belief is about acceptable/unacceptable thought, belief, and/or behaviour...creativesoul
  • creativesoul
    The prelinguistic thought/belief about behaviour that the pre-linguistic person finds unacceptable is not based upon morality. S/he/they has/have none. Morality is codified moral belief. It seems to me that these are the sorts of thought/belief that underwrite all morality, and thus, all morals.

However, those rudimentary moral thought/belief are inadequate for being morals. So, such prelinguistic likes/dislikes cannot be said to be the source of morals. Rather, they are better understood as necessary preconditions for the emergence of morals.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Morality is codified moral belief.creativesoul

What would be some examples of codified moral thought/belief?
  • creativesoul

All morality. The written and/or spoken rules of acceptable/unacceptable thought, belief, and/or behaviour. All governmental laws, etc.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    All morality. The written and/or spoken rules of acceptable/unacceptable thought, belief, and/or behaviour. All governmental laws, etc.creativesoul

Would you explain moral principles here?

Morality seems to require the communication of individually held thought/belief, and an agreement (perhaps a social contract) amongst morally conscious individuals. The social contract is only concrete if the individuals signed on have a sincere commitment, or allegiance to the conventional moral code.

How does moral judgement pertain to morality?
  • creativesoul
    Would you explain moral principles here?Merkwurdichliebe

Sure.

Moral principles are moral thought/belief. The difference, I would presume, is that they are the thought arrived at via reflective and critical assessments(thinking about thought/belief). As a result, they are often more valued, and/or said to be a 'higher' kind of thought. I can both acknowledge and question that phraseology. Better understanding often requires more complex reflective thought(higher thought). However, being a result of thinking about thought/belief(being a higher kind of thought) does not always equal better understanding.

One can rationalize nearly any behaviour one wants to, including genocide. Such rationalization is always more complex thought.
  • creativesoul
    Morality seems to require the communication of individually held thought/belief, and an agreement (perhaps a social contract) amongst morally conscious individuals. The social contract is only concrete if the individuals signed on have a sincere commitment, or allegiance to the conventional moral code.Merkwurdichliebe

Since morality is the rules of acceptable/unacceptable thought, belief, and/or behaviour and rules are existentially dependent upon language, then so too is morality. Communication results from successful language use. However, there is nothing to stop certain circumstances from arising in which there's not much of an agreement between those governed by the rules, and those writing and/or otherwise determining/establishing the rules.

The signing of an agreement is concrete enough proof of all parties consenting to the terms within. Although, cases can and ought be made against deliberate deception underlying some contracts/agreements.

If one signs on insincerely, they are still liable/responsible for keeping to the terms of the agreement.
  • creativesoul
    How does moral judgement pertain to morality?Merkwurdichliebe

Moral judgment is what happens when one expresses approval/disapproval of some thought, belief, and/or behaviour. If one claims that some thought, belief, and/or behaviour is acceptable, s/he can do so using a multitude of different terms all rendering the same judgment. The candidate under our judgment is rendered either acceptable or not, good or not, moral or not(in prescriptive/proscriptive language)etc.

Typically, moral judgment is universally applicable regardless of the individual actor/agent. That is implicit in much of the historical talk of and/or about moral judgment. When something is unacceptable(morally wrong) in some situation or other, it is unacceptable regardless of the individual in the situation. If smacking a defenseless old lady in the back of a head with a shovel is wrong/immoral/bad/evil and/or otherwise unacceptable in any other terms, it is so despite who wields the shovel.

To directly answer the question with the above in mind...

Moral judgment is to condone and/or condemn, assent and/or dissent, approve and/or disapprove. It is to call something "good" or "bad", or any other number of ways to say that something is acceptable/unacceptable. The point is that moral judgment takes comparison to a moral standard. Early on, standards are the adopted morality acquired via common language use. Language acquisition and use has morality intact as the standard.

Moral judgment is existentially dependent upon morality.
  • creativesoul
    Language enables questioning.Janus

Ah, I see. That's much easier to understand. Yes. Questioning a worldview is existentially dependent upon language acquisition/use.

Strictly speaking, one need not be fully embedded in cultural mores and customs in order to question them. One can reasonably, rationally, sensibly, respectfully, and honourably question and/or negate some core tenet of a foreign worldview without previous assent.
    — creativesoul

Janus

I would concur. We could think/believe that we are questioning a foreign worldview, and be mistaken. We would be questioning our own preconceived notions thereof. Without some knowledge of the foreign worldview, our critiques would be of something other than the worldview.
  • creativesoul
    How ought we assess situations when and where the moral thought/belief of one group stands in direct conflict with another's?
  • creativesoul
    ...understanding of what we are questioning is only necessary at the point which knowledge lacks, otherwise why would we question...Merkwurdichliebe

We question not only as a means to acquire knowledge, but also as a method of rejection/denial. Some questioning of another statement is doubting that the statement is true. Some questioning of another worldview is questioning whether or not it is worth following. Such questioning can be based upon knowledge.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

Thanks for those responses. I think you are onto something. I have more responses coming...

Some questioning of another worldview is questioning whether or not it is worth following. Such questioning can be based upon knowledge.creativesoul

Wouldn't the question of something's worth be due to a lack of knowledge regarding its worthiness? Questioning of a thing's worth is only necessary at the point which knowledge of its worthiness is lacking, otherwise why would we question it?

The only question in which the answer is fully known (that I can think of) would be the rhetorical kind, as is done in teaching.
  • creativesoul
    Some questioning of another worldview is questioning whether or not it is worth following. Such questioning can be based upon knowledge.
    — creativesoul

Wouldn't the question of something's worth be due to a lack of knowledge regarding its worthiness?"
    Merkwurdichliebe

I don't know. Let us take that consideration a bit further. Perhaps an otherwise unknown answer reveals itself, and becomes known.

What is something worth?<-------------that is the question of something's worth.

This question can be asked by those who know little, those who know much, and those who are somewhere between those two extremes. Questioning the worth of something doesn't indicate a lack of knowledge of the thing's worth.

Hopefully we need not have to remind ourselves of our own fallibility. Omniscience isn't required for knowledge about something. Unattainable standards are untenable.

...Questioning of a thing's worth is only necessary at the point which knowledge of its worthiness is lacking, otherwise why would we question it?Merkwurdichliebe

That's one reason why one could be asking about a thing's worth. It's not the only reason.

One can have knowledge of a thing's worth. One can talk about the thing and it's worth in great detail. One can use that knowledge to question the worth placed upon the same thing by another worldview.

Comparative value assessment.

...The only question in which the answer is fully known (that I can think of) would be the rhetorical kind, as is done in teaching.Merkwurdichliebe

I'm more of an optimist, I suppose. There is this hint of fatalism about your writing.

Some answers are fully known. Depends upon the question. Aren't those worth more?
  • creativesoul
    Thanks for those responses. I think you are onto something. I have more responses coming...Merkwurdichliebe

This has been an interesting river of thought.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I'm more of an optimist, I suppose. There is this hint of fatalism about your writing.creativesoul

Well, after all, I am Merkwurdichliebe. :wink:
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Some answers are fully known. Depends upon the question. Aren't those worth more?creativesoul

I guess I'm only regarding "questioning" in terms of its functionality. Yet, I suppose there are much more significance ways of regarding questioning.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Moral principles are moral thought/belief. The difference, I would presume, is that they are the thought arrived at via reflective and critical assessments(thinking about thought/belief). As a result, they are often more valued, and/or said to be a 'higher' kind of thought. I can both acknowledge and question that phraseology. Better understanding often requires more complex reflective thought(higher thought). However, being a result of thinking about thought/belief(being a higher kind of thought) does not always equal better understanding.creativesoul

Well stated.

I have the suspicion that moral thought/belief is of a kind that has a high degree of irrationality. Or put another way, for every moral reason, there is always an opposite/contradictory reason. This is in contrast to say mathematical/logical reason that has a strict criterion and little room for dissention.

Moral thought/belief permits for a greater range of reasoning, and because of that it sprawls into an indeterminate irrationality.

It is a higher kind of thought/belief because it involves a more complex form of abstract speculation. It is not a supremely useful or efficient mode of thought/belief, but it is highly concerned with consequence, which has deep psychological significance -
    qua. redemption/damnation. There is something much more personal about consciously doing right/wrong, than say building an engine/system. Doing right by building an engine/system would be supremely personal. I might be off here, but I'm just exploring the connotations.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.