• RBS
    I am new to the forum and altogether to the world of philosophy so bare with me and my thoughts, they maybe rubbish but am confident that all your input will give me a great amount of knowledge. So here we go>>>

I would say for all of us if not some of us it is easy to define ourselves? For examples, who you are and where are you from and so on....those and similarly all are subjective to oneself.......so that I can do somehow.....

What I want to understand, how do you put your ideas straight forward without hurting someone or in the process yourself......i mean ideas in the context of who you actually are?? Did i shape myself? my thoughts? or they are simply a continuation of my decedents? Do I have at all anything of myself? or all is a process of the society and all around me?
  • Be Kind
    Hey RBS, it is such a great question. Is it easy though? I mean I know me and I can see me as a constant through time. But I find it very hard to pass this fwd. This constant variable that is me as apposed that the things that changed through the years. I think firstly we need to decide which parts are necessary for this definition. What do you think?
  • RBS
    Constant and being in such state is not a character of a human being but rather of God.....

It will be easy to define yourself if you were in that state as all your characters would be the same as yourself. There would be no change from day 1 to the infinity....
    Although us humans do not have that quality or luxury, therefore to me every second of our lives will have a different definition...

What I am after is how do we collectively define yourself with all these mix characters that we are facing through the change of time....
  • Be Kind
    For me definition is underline the necessary parts and the relation of those parts to one another of the object being define. So it will be descriptive as to what it is and to distinguish it from other objects. There is a sense of self for me that it is constant through time (and I'm assuming will be there till death) and is distinguishing me from others and this I have hard time to define in words. I know there are other ways to look at it (based on psychology research I read I know a few) but those mean nothing to me. And reading those (other definitions of self) didn't let me know much about who the other person Is.
  • RBS
    Are you talking about your soul being constant? or what part of you can be constant?

If you believe that a part of you is constant then you should know of it, or if not then your mind is telling you that you being constant can be constant in a different period of time, which to me can be a vague idea....

That being said mind can tell you anything, but the reality is different, and that's how or we can call the mind games which can be so vast that has no attachment to the reality....

Does it make any sense?
  • Be Kind
    I'll try to explain by analogy. You (I assume) know what the colour yellow is. It is very clear to you. How easy though it is to explain to another person that never saw the colour? (Mary's room thought experiment have a similar premise) same thing with experiencing myself easy to know effortless even however hard to explain. As for the continuity of the self. As far as I know for the most part most people experience that. Don't you?
  • Shamshir
    You have yourself and what you are is a composition.

For lack of a better analogy, allow me to use soup. There are carrots, onions, water, meat. etc.
    All of these on their own are ingredients, but mixed together they are soup. So is man - the soup of many ingredients and likewise yet an ingredient.

Does man have any control over the way man is? Certainly, to the extent that freedom would allow it.
    Man is free to transmute oneself in to anything available. Now in truth, this would imply anything that is, but in practice man cannot transmute oneself in to something that isn't evident.
    Said in simpler words: Man cannot change or be, what he cannot imagine.
    Now again, a problem of practice arises; how does man change in to a bird, for instance?
    Now, the bird is evident, but the method of change from man to bird is not evident.
    And one must first become the method, before one becomes the bird.
    Simply put: There is a gap, and no bridge.

As to how to present one's ideas in a manner that doesn't hurt - simply do not intend harm.
  • usfan
    Our thoughts, words, actions, and life experiences define us. It is a process, not a destination. As long as we are seeking Truth, we grow and develop, as human beings. If we get to the belief of having 'arrived!', we become dogmatic and close minded.

That does not mean that we do not hold to opinions, with passion! But we (should) hold our convictions loosely, with cautious introspection, knowing how our beliefs and opinions have changed, and leaving room for further enlightenment..

The quest for Truth is what matters. Lies and deception are all around, to trip us up in that quest. A wise person spots the lies, and avoids them.
  • Artemis
    But we (should) hold our convictions loosely, with cautious introspection, knowing how our beliefs and opinions have changed, and leaving room for further enlightenment..usfan

I'm curious, how do you square that sentiment with your avatar's slogan "live free or DIE"?
  • guitarist41
    I don't know if it's possible or if it's desirable to define oneself.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.