• S
    The best way to deal with suffering and hostility is to overcome it. This requires strength of will and psychological resilience. This is always an option open to us, even if it seems distant or closed off. Even if your name is being dragged through the dirt, you can overcome it. Even if the connection you once thought you had with someone turns out to be illusory, or rots away, you can overcome it.

Wallowing in self-pity is a form of defeatism, and is akin to being stuck in limbo whilst getting a perverted sense of gratification from it. It is a chasm, and some will try to tempt you ever closer to the edge. But beware, lest you lose your footing and meet your doom.

All is not doom and gloom.

Whoever thou mayest be, beloved stranger, whom I meet here for the first time, avail thyself of this happy hour and of the stillness around us, and above us, and let me tell thee something of the thought which has suddenly risen before me like a star which would fain shed down its rays upon thee and every one, as befits the nature of light. - Fellow man! Your whole life, like a sandglass, will always be reversed and will ever run out again, - a long minute of time will elapse until all those conditions out of which you were evolved return in the wheel of the cosmic process. And then you will find every pain and every pleasure, every friend and every enemy, every hope and every error, every blade of grass and every ray of sunshine once more, and the whole fabric of things which make up your life. This ring in which you are but a grain will glitter afresh forever. And in every one of these cycles of human life there will be one hour where, for the first time one man, and then many, will perceive the mighty thought of the eternal recurrence of all things:- and for mankind this is always the hour of Noon". — Nietzsche

The hour is upon us. Seize the day.
  • Shawn
    I am a pig.

We pigs wallow to cool off and clean ourselves from pests.

Therefore I see no point in criticizing our healthy habits and practices.
  • fdrake

Can you two knock it off please.
  • Shawn

Well, I'm just concerned. I hope the best for S.
  • Joshs
    The best way to deal with suffering and hostility is to overcome it. This requires strength of will and psychological resilienceS

"Consciousness doesn't cause itself, Will is neither free nor a Determinism:
    What gives me the right to speak about an I, and, for that matter,
    about an I as cause, and, finally, about an I as the cause of thoughts? As far as the superstitions of the logicians are concerned: I will not stop emphasizing a tiny little fact that these superstitious men are loath to admit: that a thought comes when “it” wants, and not when “I” want. It is, therefore, a falsification of the facts to say that the subject “I” is the condition of the predicate “think.” It thinks: but to say the “it” is just that famous old “I” – well that is just an assumption or opinion, to put it mildly, and by no means an “immediate certainty.” In fact, there is already too much packed into the “it thinks”: even the “it” contains an interpretation of the process, and does not belong to the process itself."

Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.