• Daniel Cox
    hi Frank,

A god can be an admired or adored person. It's a part of the English language. A natural language.
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Those who default to the supernatural instead of the natural.

...ARE FOOLS.Frank Apisa

Are we done, fool?

Regards
    DL
  • Frank Apisa
    A god can be an admired or adored person. It's a part of the English language. A natural language.Daniel Cox

Your point is???
    If you want to say that the laws of nature are self explaining, then you are saying God controls the universe directly instead of via lawsDaniel Cox

No I am not.

I am saying that if the God of the gaps is all religions can come up with, then they are in trouble.

Check the stats and note just how much trouble the shrinking religions are.

If the best man can invent are gods whose religions use inquisitions and jihads to grow, then you can easily dither our how vile our mainstream religions are.

Regards
    DL
  • Daniel Cox
    It's a proven fact in the natural language of English that gods exist.
    A god can be an admired or adored person. It's a part of the English language. A natural language. — Daniel CoxFrank Apisa

God can also be hated by those who care about morals.

That is why Christians always run away from moral discussions. They know that their moral sense has been corrupted by their beliefs.

Regards
    DL
  • Frank Apisa
    Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Those who default to the supernatural instead of the natural.

...ARE FOOLS. — Frank Apisa

Are we done, fool?
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

So...you are the kind who would resort to misquoting.

Okay. Makes it easier to deal with you.

I'll let you know when I am through with you.

In the meantime, I'll just quote my first response to this topic:

As one gets older (I;m 82)...a thing happens that can best be stated as, "The fact that I am going to die is less troubling to me than it was when I was younger."

I don't consider it to be "happy that I am going to die (relatively soon)"...but rather that the prospect is not as unpleasant to contemplate as it once was.

My elderly aunt (9 years older than I) WANTS to die. She is not in despair, but she feels her life no longer has the kind of meaning that it had a while back...and is looking forward to release.

Not sure if I will get to that point also, but I understand her attitude.

I stand by that.
  • Frank Apisa
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

A god can be an admired or adored person. It's a part of the English language. A natural language. — Daniel Cox — Frank Apisa

God can also be hated by those who care about morals.

That is why Christians always run away from moral discussions. They know that their moral sense has been corrupted by their beliefs.
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

I'm not a Christian...so you can take up your generalization with one of them.
  • Terrapin Station
    I am saying that I (I am just talking about me at this point) do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence. I do not know what actually exists (or existed)...or what does not exist (or has not existed) in the REALITY of existence. It is big mystery to me...and I am not disposed to make guesses about most of it.

It is my blind guess that you do not know that either.
    Frank Apisa

Right, so why do you think that if you feel that you don't know, then no one else does either?
  • Frank Apisa
    It's a proven fact in the natural language of English that gods exist.Daniel Cox

I am not interested if gods exist in the natural language of English.

We were discussing if gods exist.

I do not know if any gods exist or not.

Are you claiming you do know?
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station

I am saying that I (I am just talking about me at this point) do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence. I do not know what actually exists (or existed)...or what does not exist (or has not existed) in the REALITY of existence. It is big mystery to me...and I am not disposed to make guesses about most of it.

It is my blind guess that you do not know that either. — Frank Apisa

Right, so why do you think that if you feel that you don't know, then no one else does either?
    Terrapin Station

I said it was my blind guess that YOU do not know either.

If you are questioning what I said...please restate your question to reflect what I actually said.
  • Terrapin Station

You feel that you don't know the true nature of reality.

Based on this, you're figuring that I feel the same way.

Why?
  • Daniel Cox
    Hi,

"Shrinking religions." The truth of a worldview should never be measured by its popularity, it's simply irrelevant.

I'm being held in existence by God, God is holding me in existence. I don't see a gap. Can you point one out to me?
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station
    ↪Frank Apisa

You feel that you don't know the true nature of reality.

Based on this, you're figuring that I feel the same way.

Why?
    Terrapin Station

You do have trouble quoting what people actually say...and want to substitute your own words for theirs...and then argue against your words.

I did NOT say I feel that I don't know...

I said, "I have absolutely no idea of the true nature of the REALITY of existence."

I also noted that I make a blind guess that you do not either.

If I feel like making a blind guess...I will. I do not have to have a reason.
  • Daniel Cox
    I'm not claiming to be a Christian. Why would I when you're claiming "Christians run from moral discussions." Forfeiture by wrongdoing.
  • Daniel Cox
    You can't get around the natural language you're using in order to ask a question where the answer is required in English.

A god can be an admired or adored person. I don't make the rules.

Again, I apologize to you. Somewhere along the way I failed to recognize your position.
    I'm being held in existence by God, God is holding me in existence. I don't see a gap. Can you point one out to me?Daniel Cox

No, as you have decided to go into intellectual and moral dissonance by a belief in the supernatural.

You have yet to put away the things of children, as scriptures put it.

That is why you idol worship a genocidal son murdering prick of a god and see him as good.

Regards
    DL.
  • Terrapin Station
    I did NOT say I feel that I don't know...Frank Apisa

Do you know that you have no idea about the true nature of reality?
    I'm not claiming to be a Christian. Why would I when you're claiming "Christians run from moral discussions." Forfeiture by wrongdoing.Daniel Cox

My oops then.

Who is your god if not the Christian god?

Regards
    DL
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station

I did NOT say I feel that I don't know... — Frank Apisa

Do you know that you have no idea about the true nature of reality?
    Terrapin Station

I do.
  • Terrapin Station

So if you know that, doesn't it follow that you don't know the true nature of reality?
  • Frank Apisa
    Guys...wife and I are leaving for a family gathering.

I'll miss yez.

Be back tonight.
  • Terrapin Station

Can't wait. I'm sure we'll make a lot of progress when you get back.
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station
    ↪Frank Apisa

So if you know that, doesn't it follow that you don't know the true nature of reality?
    Terrapin Station

Oops, just caught this.

OF COURSE I DO NOT KNOW THE TRUE NATURE OF REALITY.

Have you read what I have been saying?

Here is something I wrote:

I said, "I have absolutely no idea of the true nature of the REALITY of existence."

Two or three times now!

I do not know the true nature of REALITY.

I did not say I FEEL that way...so that you could ask why I should think you should FEEL that way.
  • Terrapin Station
    OF COURSE I DO NOT KNOW THE TRUE NATURE OF REALITY.Frank Apisa

So is it not the case that you feel that you don't know the true nature of reality?

You don't feel that you know the true nature of reality, do you?
  • Daniel Cox
    The Supreme Being holding me in existence. "God."

My philosophy is from Angelus Silesius:

...embodying a strange mystical pantheism drawn mainly from the writings of Jakob Böhme and his followers. Silesius delighted specially in the subtle paradoxes of mysticism. The essence of God, for instance, he held to be love; God, he said, can love nothing inferior to himself; but he cannot be an object of love to himself without going out, so to speak, of himself, without manifesting his infinity in a finite form; in other words, by becoming man. God and man are therefore essentially one.

If I understand you correctly, then your ---

The Supreme Being holding me in existenceDaniel Cox

--- is you calling yourself a Supreme being. That sounds rather egotistical.

In what supreme sense are you talking about?

Regards
    DL
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station

OF COURSE I DO NOT KNOW THE TRUE NATURE OF REALITY. — Frank Apisa

So is it not the case that you feel that you don't know the true nature of reality?

You don't feel that you know the true nature of reality, do you?
    Terrapin Station

I KNOW I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

It is not a feeling...it is what I know.
  • Terrapin Station

I'm using "feel" in the sense of being aware of something or experiencing something. You're aware of/you experience that you know this, right?
  • Frank Apisa
    Terrapin Station
    ↪Frank Apisa

I'm using "feel" in the sense of being aware of something or experiencing something. You're aware of/you experience that you know this, right?
    Terrapin Station

IF you do not mind, Terrapin...so that we are on the same page when we talk...I would prefer you use MY language when addressing what I say.

I am saying I KNOW I do not KNOW the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

I did not use the word "feelings" in there...so if you are questioning me on what I wrote...

...use the words I wrote.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.