• Shawn
    One of my most dear and beloved philosophers, Ludwig Wittgenstein has always been a sort of an enigma to me.

On the one hand, he is arguably the greatest philosopher of the 20'th century. His contributions seen in the Tractatus and the Investigations are without a doubt impressive.

Yet, people seem to get lost in his philosophy, instead of focusing on the primary theme of his philosophy; being, the resolution of philosophical problems into senseless or nonsensical problems.

So great has Wittgenstein's influence on me is or have been to the point of abandoning any plans on majoring in philosophy at college.

To anyone who has majored or is thinking about majoring in philosophy in some institution, isn't Wittgenstein a sort of cognitive dissonance or bittersweet inducing experience?
  • Valentinus
    So great has Wittgenstein's influence on me is or have been to the point of abandoning any plans on majoring in philosophy at college.Wallows

That is unfortunate. I did not get the impression while wrestling with him that he was solving all the problems in so far as they could be solved. He is more Zhuangzi than Kant regarding the limits of explanation.
  • Shawn
    That is unfortunate. I did not get the impression while wrestling with him that he was solving all the problems in so far as they could be solved. He is more Zhuangzi than Kant regarding the limits of explanation.Valentinus

There is a tale, I can't find the source and my memory is finicky, that a student of Wittgenstein abandoned his doctoral thesis in philosophy and left college. Upon hearing this Wittgenstein proclaimed that he ought to be granted tenure or some such matter for this act.
  • Banno
    Philosophy is useless. If you have a choice, don't do it.

If.
  • Shawn
    Philosophy is useless. If you have a choice, don't do it.Banno

Do you really believe that or is this bullshitting in practice?
  • Banno
    I believe it on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Teaching is an odd profession in that if one does it well, the student will no longer need the teacher; teachers seek to do themselves out of a job. If people did not insist on having more kids, we would not need teachers.

We would not need philosophers if folk stoped getting tangled up in their worlds and words.
  • Shawn
    I believe it on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.Banno

But, today is Sunday.

Teaching is an odd profession in that if one does it well, the student will no longer need the teacher; teachers seek to do themselves out of a job. If people did not insist on having more kids, we would not need teachers.Banno

I feel sorry for teachers. I still consider it a noble profession.

We would not need philosophers if folk stoped getting tangled up in their worlds and words.Banno

Ahh, they'd go on well without anyone teaching them also.
  • Valentinus

One teacher I had while reading Wittgenstein pointed out that shooing the fly out of the bottle is not an event if you don't own the both the bottle and the fly.
  • Shawn
    One teacher I had while reading Wittgenstein pointed out that shooing the fly out of the bottle is not an event if you don't own the both the bottle and the fly.Valentinus

Hmm, what do you mean by that? It's not quite clear to me. I miss being in the bottle. There is certainty in the struggle of the fly trying to get out. Once it is out, then the struggle disappears. Everything else becomes non-relevant.
  • Banno
    But, today is Sunday.Wallows

No, it's Monday. I live in your future.

Philosophers generally think of themselves as teachers; they set out to explain where others have gone wrong, and to show folk what they ought do.
  • Shawn
    Philosophers generally think of themselves as teachers; they set out to explain where others have gone wrong, and to show folk what they ought do.Banno

Are they any good at their job?
  • Banno
    Ah. Now, what do we mean by "good at their job"?
  • Shawn
    Ah. Now, what do we mean by "good at their job"?Banno

When the patient has achieved remission?
  • Banno
    Or when the student abandons his doctoral thesis in philosophy and leaves college.
  • Shawn
    Or when the student abandons his doctoral thesis in philosophy and leaves college.Banno

Certainly a confusing experience. I feel sorry for the bloke. But, then again philosophy is no authority on living life.
  • Banno
    philosophy is no authority on living life.Wallows

Oh, I wouldn't say that.
  • Shawn
    Oh, I wouldn't say that.Banno

Well, I phrased it deceptively. Life is one thing, the other part is living it.
  • Banno
    Ok, but it would be wrong to think that philosophy is unimportant.

Getting it wrong leads to all sorts of trouble.
  • Shawn
    Ok, but it would be wrong to think that philosophy is unimportant.Banno

No, it is not unimportant. Maybe impotent?
  • Valentinus

So, you read the fly as representing yourself in the bottle.

I think of it more as a way to not just keep repeating certain problems. Not because they have disappeared but because one can change your relation to them over time.

My teacher's remark was a caution against living too vicariously through other people's processes.
  • Banno
    ...shooing the fly...Valentinus

It's shewing, and archaic spelling of showing...

Not Shooing.
  • I like sushi
    “Teaching” is self-deception, and “philosophy” is 90% pretension, 10% pedantry.

“Teaching philosophy” is the lowest of the low.
  • Banno
    A trite pretence.
  • Shawn

Yet, here we are metalogically talking about the merits or detriments of philosophy.

Quite a conundrum.
  • Valentinus

Point taken. More of a guiding action than a waving away.
    The fly could see all the motion either way.
  • Banno
    To misquote Camus:
    One must imagine the fly happy.
  • S
    Teaching is an odd profession in that if one does it well, the student will no longer need the teacher; teachers seek to do themselves out of a job. If people did not insist on having more kids, we would not need teachers.

We would not need philosophers if folk stopped getting tangled up in their worlds and words.
    Banno

So we'll always need teachers and philosophers. Perhaps philosophy is useful after all, although it is a Monday, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow until we're on the same wavelength.
  • Shawn

The fly is content. It doesn't need any shooing or showing or shewing.
  • Banno
    Then along comes Wittgenstein...
  • Shawn
    Yes, he came and the poor fly was evicted from its familiar abode.

Poor fly.
  • S
    Yes, he came and the poor fly was evicted from its familiar abode.

Poor fly.
    Wallows

The fly doesn't need your sympathy, this is a cause for celebration. It has been liberated. Fly away, dear fly, fly away. Up, up, and away.

Until I shewt you down.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.