• Terrapin Station
    Give examples of this evidence.AJJ

I did this the first time you asked. I gave you five examples that were hyperlinked. At which point you proceeded to completely ignore it. If you're interested in it, look at the evidence and comment on it. There's no need to repeat what it says. Look at it if you're sincerely wondering.
  • AJJ

No links. Refer to what you have learned from those links. Don’t simply hide behind them.
  • Terrapin Station

Why no links? Why would I retype what is said there?
  • Terrapin Station
    As I said above, "If you're interested in it, look at the evidence and comment on it. There's no need to repeat what it says. Look at it if you're sincerely wondering." It's all obviously explicit re mental/brain connections.
  • AJJ

It’s very plain now that you do not yourself know or understand what is behind the links you posted. You’re posting them in order to assert your prejudice. It’s obviously not appropriate to refuse to argue in an argument, but rather refer the argument elsewhere.
  • Terrapin Station

You asked for examples of evidence. Those are examples of evidence. If you're interested in the evidence, look at the examples. If you're not really interested enough to bother with that, why should I care?
  • AJJ

No argument. Prejudice and links.
  • Terrapin Station

Evidence is what matters here. If you just want an argument clinic because you like to argue for its own sake, I'm sure a lot of other people are looking for the same thing.
  • AJJ

Oh, sorry. I didn’t realise that this was a prejudice and links-posting thread.
  • Terrapin Station

"Waah! I just want to argue! Waah! I'm not actually interested in information."
  • AJJ

“Waah! I just want to post prejudice and links! Waah! I’m not actually interested in arguing.”
  • Terrapin Station

I'm definitely not interested in arguing. Correct.

At least not arguing for its own sake. Again, what matters for empirical claims like this is evidence. What's the case isn't determined by some stupid argument, just because it's an argument ( "If I claim to not otherwise be able to explain this, then God did it. I claim to not otherwise be able to explain this. So God did it. Modus ponens, bitch." )

If you're interested in the evidence look at it and comment on it. Otherwise I don't really care.
  • AJJ

You neither know nor understand the “evidence” you’re referring to.
  • Terrapin Station
    You neither know nor understand the “evidence” you’re referring to.AJJ

This claim is based on?
  • AJJ

You post links but refuse to give examples of anything contained in them. The reason is because you can’t.
  • Terrapin Station
    You post links but refuse to give examples of anything contained in them. The reason is because you can’t.AJJ

That's not going to work. Again, if you're actually interested in the evidence, look at it. How many times do I have to tell you, in order for you to finally learn, that if you're not interested enough to look at it, I don't care?
  • AJJ

You neither know nor understand the “evidence”. If you did you would give an example of it and argue from that. You don’t, because you can’t.
  • Terrapin Station

I gave you a handful of examples. I couldn't care less that you either reason so poorly or that you have such ineffective psychological manipulation methods that you'd say that not performing as you'd prefer amounts to "not knowing or understanding it." That just tells me that you're kind of dim either way.

There's no need to "argue from the evidence." The evidence is the "argument." Either you're actually interested in the evidence or not. Again, I really couldn't care either way. As far as you matter to me at the moment, you're just some bozo who wants to argue on the internet.
  • AJJ

You posted links. You have not given examples of what is contained in those links. You don’t, because you can’t.

Evidence of brain states corresponding to experiences is not evidence of the two things being identical. If that is not the kind of evidence contained in those links, say so, give an example of what is contained in them, and explain why it necessarily shows brain phenomena and experiences are identical. If you can’t, it’s because you can’t, and you’re free to stop responding.
  • Terrapin Station
    Evidence of brain states corresponding to experiences is not evidence of the two things being identical.AJJ

Sure it is. Why wouldn't it be?

You're not appealing to the dumb idea that it's not proof of them being identical, are you?
  • AJJ

Because you could conclude instead that we experience our brain states, in which case they would correspond in the same way.
  • Terrapin Station
    Because you could conclude instead that we experience our brain states,AJJ

What would be the evidence suggesting that the two are different? (By the way if you post a link I'll look at it instead of complaining that you should retype parts of it here, etc.)
  • AJJ

That’s not the point here. You said the evidence shows the two are identical. I’ve just given a reason why that isn’t the case.
  • Terrapin Station
    That’s not the point here. You said the evidence shows the two are identical. I’ve just given a reason why that isn’t the case.AJJ

It's exactly the point. The evidence does not PROVE that the two are identical. But it does show that they are. As expected, you're appealing to the ignorant idea that the evidence doesn't prove something.

To believe a contrary claim, there would need to be evidence for it. Possibility doesn't suffice.
  • AJJ

That brain phenomena correspond to experiences shows either that the two are identical, or that we experience our brain phenomena. You’re willing to accept the former without further consideration, but not the latter. Why?
  • Terrapin Station

The latter requires evidence that they're different. There is no evidence that they're different though.

What there is, however, is evidence that any change in one amounts to a change in the other. In lieu of evidence otherwise, that suggests that they're identical.
  • Terrapin Station
    Which is not to mention the incoherence of even the idea of nonphysicals,by the way.
  • AJJ

That a change in one amounts to change in the other shows either that they are identical, or that we experience our brain phenomena. You’re willing to accept the former without further consideration, but not the latter. Why?
  • Terrapin Station
    That a change in one amounts to change in the other shows either that they are identical, or that we experience our brain phenomena.AJJ

Why would you figure that it shows either? Why wouldn't you figure that it maybe it shows that the two are completely coincidental?
  • AJJ

That a change in one amounts to a change in the other shows either that the two are identical, that we experience our brain phenomena, or it’s complete coincidence. You’re willing to accept the former without further consideration, but not the latter two. Why?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.