• LG18
    Good evening,

After having read the genealogy, I am left feeling unsure on how to interpret it as a whole. I would be very grateful of some different opinions to ponder on, as it is such a thought provoking piece. If anybody would be able to help me think through the two particular questions below I would be very appreciative. Whenever I engage with Nietzsche, I always find it difficult to detach myself from the particular section I am reading (perhaps due to the amount of work required to understand what is being said sentence by sentence) and think about it as a whole.

1.What do you feel is the purpose of the genealogy? Do you believe he is solely expressing the origin and development of good, evil, guilt etc., or do you feel there are underlying themes which could potentially pass under the radar?

2.How do nihilism, science and asceticism link together, especially when looking into the future, in the third essay?

Many thanks!
  • I like sushi
    I’ve just started reading it myself. From my understanding it helps a great deal if you’ve read his previous works too (especially BGE apparently). Hope I can add more at a later date.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.