• Bryon Ehlmann
    The short essay below gives an inkling as to how an eternal consciousness and afterlife are “natural” by briefly explaining their psychological basis. The article “The Theory of a Natural Eternal Consciousness: The Psychological Basis for a Natural Afterlife” provides much more detail on these phenomena. It describes their elusive essence, presents a formal model and arguments supporting them, and briefly addresses their impact on philosophy and religion, which should be enormous.

If you are willing to read the article carefully with an open mind, I would greatly appreciate your views. A caution, however: Ensure 1) that your comments are not simply based on a belief in the absolute truth of Hypothesis 1, given below, and 2) that you are viewing death strictly from the perspective of the dying person, i.e., from only what they perceive.

The Psychological Basis for a Natural Eternal Consciousness and Natural Afterlife

From a general understanding of psychology, two opposing hypotheses can be deduced for what one will experience upon death. The first is based on the definitions of mind and consciousness like those given in many introductory psychology textbooks. The second delves just a bit deeper and is based on human experience and established cognitive principles in time and conscious perception.

Hypothesis 1: Quoting from a © 2014 psychology textbook by Zimbardo: “The mind is the product of the brain,” consciousness is “the brain process that creates our mental representation of the world and our current thoughts” and “as a process … is dynamic and continual rather than static.” Therefore, when the brain dies, the mind as its product and consciousness as a brain process must totally cease to exist and one will “experience” a before-life kind of nothingness.

Hypothesis 2: Before death a still functioning brain produces a last discrete present conscious moment of a perceived event within some experience and then is forever incapable of producing another moment that would cognitively supplant the last present moment from one’s consciousness. Therefore, one is never aware that one’s last experience is over, and so a remnant of consciousness, an experience as captured by its last moment, will become imperceptibly timeless and deceptively eternal, i.e., static, relative to one’s perspective. (Here experience is not in quotes as it is indeed experienced before death.)

Hypothesis 1, despite lacking empirical verification, has been accepted as orthodoxy by many. It can only be verified after death, which is impossible. Hypothesis 2 on the other hand, hitherto likely overlooked by the orthodoxies of both 1 and religion, can be verified before death. It is verified to some degree with each everyday human encounter with death-like timelessness, e.g., dreamless sleep or general anesthesia. Especially relevant are the timeless periods when one awakes instantly surprised when their first conscious moment is completely inconsistent with their last, e.g., as in waking up from an intense dream. One need only ask: “Suppose I never woke up?”
  • tim wood
    Seems reasonable. Whither? And in hyp. #2, what is it that is verified under special conditions that cannot be verified at any and every conscious moment?
  • christian2017
    i like this topic. If hypothesis 2 was true i would like to add that it would be possible with future technology to possibly alleviate people who had a bad experience right before they died. Atleast i would hope lol.

Since our brains have been proven to be quantum computers dealing with quantum particles i think at some point in the distant future it might be possible for people to change their long term outlook on life through technology. I have no way of proving this though so this is just pure conjecture and wishful thinking.
  • tim wood
    Since our brains have been proven to be quantum computers dealing with quantum particleschristian2017

This in any significant sense? When? How By whom?
  • christian2017

"This in any significant sense? When? How By whom? "

Life and reality are extremely complex and electrons and electrical activity do not explain everything our brains do.

article:
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/if-your-brain-is-a-quantu_b_497116

Just as a liar is capable of saying true things so the huffington post is capable of writing great articles.

Both cnn and fox have said true things before.
  • tim wood
    electrons and electrical activity do not explain everything our brains do.christian2017

Arguably they do, but not in relevant terms. For example, what is a chair? As a chair it's one thing - a chair. As a bunch of atoms, which is to say as mainly profoundly empty space, it's no chair at all. So meaning is more-or-less dependent on scale.

But you said, "was proven...". Was it? The article start with "If...". Grant "if" and you can "prove" anything.
  • christian2017

The first part i don't agree or understand what your saying right wrong or indifferent. For as to when you say.

"But you said, "was proven...". Was it? The article start with "If...". Grant "if" and you can "prove" anything."

Your right it hasn't been proven with out a doubt but that being said i would have to say that evolution or god or gods probably didn't confine itself to just electrons in structuring the way the brain works considering there are about 100 known particles small than the electron that currently known and the list is growing. Evolution is not confined to 19th century technology.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment