• god must be atheist
    The only incentive to stay is to gain more knowledge.Wallows

To gain more knowledge is one incentive to to stay, but it is not the only incentive.

I come and go as my need to argue and my need to prove to myself that I can prove things to others wanes and waxes.
  • TheMadFool
    Is this some ego thing where members stay because they have something to prove to themselves or others?

In other words why would you want to leave this forum to anyone contemplating leaving?
    Wallows

I want to leave because I write more than I read. I want to stay because I learn more by listening than by writing. Thank you all.
  • S
    Breathe out, breathe in. A bad habit brought me back now which is the same one that had driven me away then: breathing ...180 Proof

It's 180 Proof! :gasp:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Breathe out, breathe in. The bad habit which brought me back now is the same one that drove me away then: breathing ...180 Proof

180 Welcome home. Like a lot of things in life, we don't know what we have until it is gone.
    I have grown to appreciate your thoughts more than you realize and I Thank you for all the perspectives you have offered.
    :heart:
  • leo
    Personally I participate much less mostly because of the animosity that is quite prevalent, when we say things that others don't agree with we get quickly attacked, instead of having a respectful discussion. There is a lot of talking going on but very little listening. I also find that my thoughts often get misinterpreted, that wouldn't be a problem if the responses were peaceful, but when they're not it's not a nice experience to have to justify oneself again and again against the hostility.

I have the feeling that if we were all moved mainly by the desire to understand then there wouldn't be this animosity, but instead it feels like many simply want to boost their ego and put others down.
  • Shamshir
    Personally I participate much less mostly because of the animosity that is quite prevalentleo
    That's quite ironic, considering you're called 'leo' and rarely seen.

Truth really is stranger, eh?
  • leo
    That's quite ironic, considering you're called 'leo' and rarely seen.Shamshir

I don't see what you mean.
  • Shamshir
    Leo as in lion.
    But you're not around producing animosity or prideful roaring.

So it's ironic.
  • leo
    Leo as in lion.
    But you're not around producing animosity or prideful roaring.
    Shamshir

That's what I guessed, but I wasn't sure because a lion doesn't necessarily have animosity. Leo is simply my first name.

As to why I'm rarely seen, that would be because I participate much less, and I suppose since I don't have an avatar I don't stand out.
  • Shamshir
    Fair enough, though I do think you stand out by the theme of your threads.

Likewise, I find that the objective reality thread died too soon in comparison to some of the regularly refreshed garbage.
  • TheMadFool
    if you leave
    knowledge bereave

if you stay
    like light, bring day

so stay
    join the fray

of wisdom, speak, tell
    dark ignorance dispel

make us laugh
    life is tough

make us cry
    utter not a lie

truth we seek
    strong and meek

in that quest
    worst and best

when you meet
    first you greet

when you part
    feel in your heart

sparks will fly
    not that you'll die

minds will link
    don't dare blink

lest you miss
    that you'd kiss

:rofl:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Ah, but is it really?Banno
    Is breathing real? Yes.
    Is the love between us real? Yes.
    Are we our choosen family? Yes.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I hope you, my chosen family, know that I love you and cannot Thank you enough for being in my life ❤️❤️❤️
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.