• Shawn
    I just smoked a cigarette. It felt relaxing and soothing especially for a schizophrenic.

Yet, we are all aware of the hazards smoking has on one's life. It is carcinogenic, causes heart attacks (or increases the likelihood of it) and can cause others nearby to second-hand smoke, for which it has (or is becoming) a solitary act.

The prevalence amongst schizophrenics to smoke is double that of other people. Schizophrenics report that it normalizes their brain's and causes a decrease in the intensity or desire to listen to persecutory voices. Long story short, there's an abnormality in the acetylcholine levels in the prefrontal cortex of a schizophrenic (specifically the nicotinic alpha 7 receptor).

Smoking is habitual or causes one to want to repeat the calming effect it has on oneself.

The typical "buzz" one gets from smoking is a rewarding experience.

Fun fact, there's a metabolite of nicotine called Cotinine, which has secondary effects apart from the main active ingredient of nicotine. Here's a wiki on Cotinine just for those interested:

Cotinine is an alkaloid found in tobacco and is also the predominant metabolite of nicotine.[1][2] Cotinine is used as a biomarker for exposure to tobacco smoke. Cotinine is currently being studied as a treatment for depression, PTSD, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease. Cotinine was developed as an antidepressant as a fumaric acid salt, cotinine fumarate, to be sold under the brand name Scotine but it was never marketed.[1]

Similarly to nicotine, cotinine binds to, activates, and desensitizes neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, though at much lower potency in comparison.[2][3][4][5] It has demonstrated nootropic and antipsychotic-like effects in animal models.[6][7] Cotinine treatment has also been shown to reduce depression, anxiety, and fear-related behavior as well as memory impairment in animal models of depression, PTSD, and Alzheimer's disease.[8] Nonetheless, treatment with cotinine in humans was reported to have no significant physiologic, subjective, or performance effects in one study,[9] though others suggest that this may not be the case.[10]

Because cotinine is the main metabolite to nicotine and has been shown to be pharmacologically active, it has been suggested that some of nicotine's effects in the nervous system may be mediated by cotinine and/or complex interactions with nicotine itself.[8][11]
    — Wiki on Continine 3/28/2019

So, to sum up my experience with smoking; it is calming, soothing, relaxing, and an outlet for stress.

But, if I am doing this at the cost of my health, then am I doing what is in my best interest? Is this all for the sake of "pleasure"?

I'm trying to boil down the issue into its constituent parts, and all I feel when I smoke a cigarette is a tinge of guilt and pleasure. It's a mixed feeling; but, it feels like a crutch to smoke a cigarette and calmly think things through.

Now, stepping back from the above, the fact that I'm fretting over smoking a cigarette once a day is itself alarming. Am I really that unconfident and neurotic to try and rationalize behavior that goes back to the dawn of man? I mean, there's a reason in medicine certain receptors are called nicotinic; because of nicotine bonds perfectly with said receptor. Therefore the act of smoking itself isn't or shouldn't be the cause of my distress; but, the cause of my distress is/are these neurotic posts about a relatively harmless activity.

So, reader, on a scale of 1 to 10, how high do you think my self-esteem is to post this pathetic thread?
    Furthermore, the reader, on a scale of 1 to 10, how neurotic am I?
    And finally, reader, what should I talk about with my next visit with my shrink?

Thanks for making it this far.
  • S
    Furthermore, the reader, on a scale of 1 to 10, how neurotic am I?Wallows

7?

And finally, reader, what should I talk about on my next visit with my shrink?Wallows

You should explore the root of your self-pity, excessive fretting, and indecisiveness.

Just decide what matters more to you and act. Quit smoking or carry on.
  • Valentinus
    I had a long struggle with smoking and quit.

Everyone is different and the register of addiction may be correct in many senses without touching the wound.

For me, it was about how smoking got integrated into my activity at work. It provided a gap I craved for thinking or resetting what I was obsessing upon. I found a way to replace that moment with another moment.

When the opponent starts not having the upper hand in all things, the situation changes.
  • Nils Loc
    Ask your therapist who ought to wear the clown nose (you will inevitably bring with you) in your next session.

Meanwhile, work on your balloon animal, juggling and tight-rope walking skills, with or without simultaneously smoking clove cigarettes.
  • Pattern-chaser
    It's interesting to note that science (as described on mainstream news) has just discovered that air pollution is killing more people than smoking. It's the same thing of course: breathing polluted air. One is intentional, the other unavoidable (?), but it's all the same. Unless you can somehow avoid the air pollution associated with modern civilisation, I don't think you need to worry about one cigarette per day.

Smoke, and enjoy the beneficial effects it has on you, and on your condition. [You've got to die of something, after all.] :up: :smile:
  • Anaxagoras
    There is an inextricable link to smoking and mental illness. The following is from a research article on the issues of having mental illness and smoking:

"The devastating consequences of tobacco use among smokers with mental illness are evident. Smokers with serious mental illness are at increased risk for cancer, lung disease, and cardiovascular disease, and they die 25 years sooner, on average, than Americans overall. Tobacco use also complicates psychiatric treatment. Components in tobacco smoke accelerate the metabolism of some antidepressant and antipsychotic medications, resulting in lowered blood levels and probably reduced therapeutic benefit. Studies have revealed higher hospitalization rates, higher medication doses, and more severe psychiatric symptoms among patients with schizophrenia who smoke than among those who do not. Though the mechanism is unclear, tobacco use also is one of the strongest predictors of future suicidal behavior.1 Smoking results in substantial social and financial costs to patients, their families, and society. As greater restrictions on exposure to secondhand smoke are implemented in many public areas, tobacco use is further isolating an already-marginalized group."

Source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4457781/
  • S
    I'm going to buy a pack of cigarettes. Sovereign Dual.

Philosophy of fuck it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.