• OpinionsMatter
    Please tell me your thought on this website:http://godisimaginary.com This does not necessarily represent my opinion or that of anyone else's. However I would love to hear you feedback! Also, here is how I came to this conclusion:
    1. The website I used had some interesting topics. The further I read, the less convinced I became. I realized that for the Bible to be used and interpreted correctly you need to read quite a lot of it, because other wise you won't understand the context. You can't expect a single verse to mean exactly what it says, because of sarcasm, metaphorical speaking and the occasional description of something that is ungodly.
    2. God is difficult to grasp for some people, but I can tell you that assuming there is a God, specifically the one in the Bible, it answers thousands of scientific questions we've been wondering about for ages. It works better for everyone to have one, solid answer to a question than hundreds of possibilities.
    3. I can prove all of the proofs in on that website false, although sometimes it's difficult to explain. Either way, I have solid evidence that I would be willing to share with anybody who's interested, so say the word. The first proof is false in the fact that Deut 6:16 says not to test God, and the author was obviously testing God which would explain the unanswered prayer. The author also mentioned about gathering faithful God fearing people to pray as well, but that would also be a test, so that still explains why the prayers wouldn't be answered.
    4. I prayed, and my prayer was answered. This means one of two things: 1. God answered my prayer. or 2. Coincidentally something happened that answered my prayer at the same time I was praying.
    5. Last but not least, I heard some amazing testimonies and they boosted my moral and reasoning.

So those are my reasons, and I'm totally open for any debate concerning it.
  • fdrake

You need to make better OPs, see the guidelines for help.
  • Frank Apisa
    Please tell me your thought on this website:http://godisimaginary.com This does not necessarily represent my opinion or that of anyone else's. However I would love to hear you feedback! I would like to debate on this so if you could reply that would be best. Don't bite off more than you can chew though!OpinionsMatter

The person writing that commentary apparently has a particular god in mind.

If he/she does have a particular god in mind...the commentator has set him/herself up for a demand for proof.

Saying a particular god is imaginary is a positive assertion...and the burden of proof for the assertion falls on the person making the assertion.
  • Heracloitus
    I would like elaboration on point 4.
  • tim wood
    Don't confuse belief-in with existence. Existence is relatively easy prove, for existing things. If it's existence you're after, then prove it.
  • Grre
    Point 2:
    You're misinterpreting the solution "it answers thousands of scientific questions we've been wondering about for ages" religion provides, as proof of its necessary existence. Religion certainly answers these questions, or the "silence of the universe" as Camus wrote (read him!) but that doesn't mean it's true by any means

Point 4: I often interpret prayer as a form of confirmation bias. People in desperate or unfortunate situations are driven to attempt to do anything they believe could help alleviate their suffering/situation, and thus find hope in prayer, which likewise, now they find 'hope' in their life. Faith as psychological tricking.
  • OpinionsMatter

I prayed that my dog would be cured from a form of incurable canine cancer, and he was. I prayed before the blood tests were taken, and just before the vet gave me the results. I know it seems childish, but it's what worked for me. The vet was the most surprised, couldn't wrap his head around the idea that my dog would not have to be put down and therefore I wouldn't have to pay for it.
  • OpinionsMatter

Well, I am a person of education, and it was difficult for me to come to terms with the existence of God. I studied the evidence, and no matter how hard I tried to disprove, I ended up proving that he does exist. Pick one of the fifty proofs from that website, and I will prove to you it's absolutely false.
  • DingoJones

So how does that work? You think that god suspended the laws of nature for you and your dog but not for other people whose dogs, children, mothers, fathers and wives died from cancer or whatever else? What makes you and your dog so special? Was it they way you prayed? The timing? Because you prayed twice?
  • Frank Apisa
    I can think of no way that the question of whether any gods exist (or not) can be answered in any reasonable way except for: I do not know.

One can certainly make a guess in either direction...and almost anyone can come up with rationalizations for a guess in either direction.

But no meaningful conclusion can be drawn.

One cannot even make a meaningful conclusion about whether either position is more likely.

That will never stop people from making absolute assertions that at least one god exists...or that no gods exist.
  • Banno
    I prayed that my dog would be cured from a form of incurable canine cancer, and he was.OpinionsMatter

• OpinionsMatter

No, I think there was a possibility that that maybe the blood tests were wrong or that it was all a coincidence, but either way it was still answered for me. I think mostly likely it was the timing, but I think that maybe God had other plans for my dog, because I'm raising him to be a guide dog.
  • DingoJones

It depends on what “god” you are talking about, what attributes are being assigned to the “god” in question. These claims, at least some of them, are testable. The current popular “god” of monotheism is actually a much diluted “god”, after having been tested and found wanting many, many times. Now, “god” is this nebulous pseudo-entity that exists outside any ability to test it or even just differentiate from the various forms delusion we know humans are subject to.
    Convenient, but not very convincing.
  • OpinionsMatter

The Bible says not to test God, so that would explain why any tests done would be negative or wrong. Deut 6:16
  • Frank Apisa

I do not talk about "a" god...and I did not do so in my comments.

I am saying that the assertion, "There are no gods"...is a guess.

I am saying that the assertion, "There exists at least one god"...is a guess.

If you disagree, tell me why and we can discuss THAT.
  • OpinionsMatter
    not true about the second paragraph. The dog(although it currently belongs to me) is not emotionally attached to me, neither am I to it. If it had died, I wouldn't have cared to be honest. However now that it's going to live it will serve a 45yo women for the next ten years or so.
  • Heracloitus
    Why did you pray for the dog then?
  • DingoJones

And the unanswered prayers of others? No plan fir them? Not worthwhile people? My son dies of cancer even though I prayed, no plan for him I guess? Not worthwhile enough to save?
    God works in mysterious ways, right?
  • OpinionsMatter

To see what would happen after I was convinced of the existence of God. I thought, "Hey, I don't care if the dog dies, but if I pray will it live?" The answer to the prayer further convinced me, but I don't count prayer as a complete form of evidence. I also use the term 'believe' rather loosely, because I don't believe so much as I am convinced.
  • DingoJones

Alright, well I wasnt intending to imply you said anything about god specifically, nor was I trying to be adversarial. It was related commentary for the purpose of discussion, and an explanation about the nebulous state of the topic of god which resulted in your stance about the “yay” or “nay” about god being “guesses”.
  • OpinionsMatter
    God works in mysterious ways, right?DingoJones

Absolutely not. God does not make it 'mysterious' at all. In fact, he makes it plain and obvious. However, when people want to give reasons why God did this or that and they don't understand, they use the "God works in mysterious ways" to supplement their incomprehension of what happened.
  • Tzeentch
    Trying to convince others of the existence of (a) God/the Divine, however noble your intentions, is ultimately futile. Spirituality is something that needs to be experienced in order to be authentic. You have experienced something that you may call Divine, and you do not need the approval of others to make such an experience a positive force in your life.
  • Heracloitus
    To see what would happen after I was convinced of the existence of God. I thought, "Hey, I don't care if the dog dies, but if I pray will it live?" The answer to the prayer further convinced me, but I don't count prayer as a complete form of evidence. I also use the term 'believe' rather loosely, because I don't believe so much as I am convinced.OpinionsMatter

It seems that you were convinced of God already before you prayed. That means that the outcome of the situation, which you prayed about, had to pass through and be interpreted by your *I already believe in god* filter.

Also you said one shouldn't test god. Then you did exactly that by praying about the dog simply to see what would happen.
  • DingoJones

...and the rest of what I said? Do you have an answer for that?
  • OpinionsMatter

No, I didn't. I didn't care if it was answered or not, in fact it may have been half hearted. I was convinced of God, but not of prayer. I thought, sure, there is a God, but no, prayer isn't useful. I haven't really tried praying at all besides that, but I don't see why not God wouldn't answer it, when he answered something I didn't care about.
  • SethRy
    Then you did exactly that by praying about the dog simply to see what would happen.emancipate

Negative. A prayer should be in a form of request and when granted by God, it is a gift. Although this theory somewhat contradicts with free will and human's rational capability, a request - happens for a reason. When Jesus was tempted by Satan - he was dared to 'call thy angels as the Lord will catch you when you fall'. That is no longer considered as a request, as it is more of a condition, than a request.

A test is a dare without any faithful ideology. Just to see what happens.
  • Rank Amateur
    you made this point on a different thread - matters some what you mean by guessing - i guess ( couldn't resist)

here is an example:

You and me are playing hold em poker heads up.

on the deal -
    I get A Hearts, A clubs
    You get 4 -5 spades.
    I guess I have the best hand right now, don’ t want to get out drawn
    I 3 bet
    You like your suited connectors, guess I have a pair but you want to see a flop

The Flop goes A spades, 3 spades, 7 spades
    I love the flop – trip A’s - bet half the pot
    You seem to take a long time – but call - I guess you are playing me with the delay and have the flush and am glad you are slow playing it so I can get out on the turn

The turn is 7 hearts
    I am trying to control my breathing and act cool. I check hoping to check raise you when you
    Bet your flush, you guessed I had trips on the flop when I bet big and are happy I checked here guessing the board paired 7 either gave me the full house or quad 7’s - you check – expecting to fold on the river

The river is 6 spades
    I know the odds of that card filling in a strait flush is 22 – 1, but I know the hand is possible the only one that can beat me. I bet the pot. Guessing you just have the flush. You go all in.

I guess you put me on trips early and didn’t bet my check on the river because you knew it was a trap and would have folded into any bet I would have made. So the river must have given you the strait flush or you would not have gone all in - But I can’t give into I would be folding a full house into a 22-1 shot - I call and lose

In your understanding of guessing – how much or all that was guessing or reasoning an unknown with limited information.
  • Frank Apisa

Most of it was guessing...informed guessing.

Poker is informed guessing...probability analysis.

Asserting there exists at least one god in the REALITY of existence...is also a guess...but IT IS A BLIND GUESS.

Asserting there are no gods in the REALITY of existence...is also a guess...and also a BLIND GUESS.

I used to play Hold 'em 4 - 5 hours a day on-line. Don't do that anymore. Love the game. And I loved your "example."
  • Heracloitus
    A prayer should be in a form of request and when granted by God, it is a gift. Although this theory somewhat contradicts with free will and human's rational capability, a request - happens for a reason. When Jesus was tempted by Satan - he was dared to 'call thy angels as the Lord will catch you when you fall'. That is no longer considered as a request, as it is more of a condition, than a request.SethRy

So what is the request in a prayer of thanksgiving?
  • OpinionsMatter
    Maybe that they would receive the same kind of blessings in the future? I don't know, I don't believe in prayer so much as in God's existence so I really don't know
  • OpinionsMatter
    And the unanswered prayers of others?DingoJones
    I don't know about 'unanswered', because I've been told God can say no as well as yes.
    No plan fir them?DingoJones
    There probably is, but unless you
    1. 'Believe' in God
    2. Ask God concerning it
    3. Go where He 'leads' you
    You will never find out what God has planned for you or your loved ones.
    Not worthwhile people?DingoJones
    My son dies of cancer even though I prayed, no plan for him I guess?DingoJones
    Not worthwhile enough to save?DingoJones

They definitely are! But if God exists, than heaven is a way better place than earth could ever be, so why wouldn't they want to live there? It would be a place without pain or sickness. A true paradise! Wanting them to stay healthy or at least alive on earth would be selfish, would it not? I think God takes them to heaven where they can be eternally happy and healthy, wouldn't you want that for your son instead of constant pain and the grief? The Bible says that to a certain age God doesn't hold us accountable for our choices concerning Him, so if this son has yet to be a teen, he would probably be in heaven regardless what you or he thought.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.