• wax
    The resurrection was the healing of Jesus wherever the heck he was after he died...whether he was healed back into his actual body to come physically alive again, or whether he was just healed back into a higher healthier spiritual life, to return to God, in no way was this anything like some king of egg rebirth or whatever the comparison is supposed to be about.

It seems like a very bad metaphor or lesson to people to compare it to an egg; chocolate or otherwise...and considering the way humans treat chickens to get eggs, in very bad taste.
  • Sir2u
    I remember this from 7th grade, we had a sexy teacher that wanted to discuss the meaning of Easter.

She asked us why we thought we were given Easter eggs and the answers, looking back at them, were hilarious.
    I remember saying that they used chocolate because before they used to have real eggs but they went rotten.
    A friend said that it was because chocolate came from Africa. Even the teacher had to think about that one.
    Another thought it was about eating dragon eggs from the dragons Saint George had killed so that there would not be any more dragons.
    No one came up with the association to Jesus
    Jeez, that brought back some memories.
  • Nils Loc
    Eggs. They are fundamental feature of keeping this absurd show going.

Symbolizing the enigma of the cycle of life since the the dawning of sense. Eggs, bunnies and flowers in spring, a depraved consequence of gratuitous and unchecked sexual solicitation and communion.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Eat them before then!

The mythic pheonix is really just a chicken whose eggs are taken for raising before it gets roasted.
  • OpinionsMatter

The background story for chocolate eggs were supposed to symbolize two things:
    1. The chocolate eggs were usually hollow, representing that when Jesus 'rose' from the grave, the tomb was empty. (However they don't always make them hollow anymore, but that's why they were hollow to begin with)
    2. When Jesus 'rose', it was also described as a rebirth. An egg is a symbol of birth, and is often used to represent that Jesus 'rose', but also that he was supposedly born again.
    Anything else(Like rabbits, chicks, flowers, etc.) was a sign of spring, and everyone knows that spring is also a form of 'rebirth' as Jesus was 'reborn'. How the Easter bunny came along, that's a different story. I'd be willing to share with you all if you want.
  • Rank Amateur
    I vote for it was cadbury's idea. Enjoy the chocolate.
  • I like sushi
    Most festivals and celebrations are an amalgam of other traditions. The winter solstice was replaced by Christmas and the spring festival was replaced by Easter. The symbol of the cross was also likely adapted from the ancient symbolic representation of a human.

In the UK there is bonfire night that is another continuation of pagan festivities.

The “egg” and “bunny” have some vague relations to ancient egyptian mythos too.

Santa wears red because of coca-cola ... traditions and symbols switch around a lot. Ti may be interesting for you to learn that Ireland created its symbols and identity VERY recently. The harp, shamrock and such were part of the propaganda for independence with no historical traditions attached to them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment