• Shawn
    I can imagine adjectives like procrastination, mental masturbation, or wallowing. But, I don't understand that when there is near unanimous support from all nations, even oil-rich nations that climate change is not some hoax from a coke-addled brain of Trump's.

There was a child in Sweden that basically expressed what needed to be said, yet more of the same.

Activities like fossil fuel usage cause negative externalities. (period)

The economic motive is not to blame here. It's our inability to want to change our current lifestyle that needs changing, and given how thorny and obstinant people can be, then is that the end?

The problem with climate change is that it won't be like a 9/11 or Hiroshima due to nature being, for the most part, agentless or doesn't have agency depending if you're agnostic or pantheistic.

But, time is really running out. Those scientists moving the doomsday clock to the closest it has ever been to midnight is a parade.

Someone here just posted the other day that the boomers were the worst generation. Well, it doesn't really matter unless you're already dead, which you are not.

I don't know what would be required for there to be actual change on this issue not only from one nation or set of nations.

I'm doing my part. My next car will be an all-electric Model 3. I'll also install solar panels on my house if we qualify for low-income families, as that will be a reality in Progressive California. I'm serious, considering eliminating all steak, pork, and beef from my diet, and making a tradition to a more oriental stlye of eating.

But, that's just n=1. It's a step in the right direction, and feel that this generation despite the barrage of useless information, are at least unconsciously aware that something needs to be done.

The next US president will likely be a social democrat. Kamila Harris or Bernie Sanders will be the nominees; although I think Bernie has the knowledge and isn't demented by greed or corruption. I'd actually prefer to see an older wiser more mature person for a change than this imbecile currently running the show.

What are you doing to stave off the existential threat that is climate change?
  • Terrapin Station
    The next US president will likely be a social democrat. Kamila Harris or Bernie Sanders will be the nominees;Wallows

Honestly, I'll be very surprised if Trump doesn't win another term. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.
  • wax
    some guy keeps writing to my local paper blaming MPs in the UK parliament; they didn't turn up to a climate change debate....well why would they,?,,,any attempt to change things would meet such negativity from the media and thus encourage the public in their natural inclination to do nothing, as it costs more, that any MP who rocks the boat would end up not being an MP for long.

I think with most people's general inclination to take the path of least resistance, means that any real solution has to come from science....ie solid renewable energy, like oilgae, and efficient effective CO2 sequestration...nothing else will do it....people are under the illusion that they have great will power, and a real democracy...they have piss weak versions of those I'm afraid, so it's science of whatever nature chucks at us.
  • Frank Apisa

Sad to say (as an American) he does have a good chance to be re-elected.

In fact, as an American, it is sad to say that he has any chance at all.

We Americans have temporary custody of our Republic.

We are disgusting custodians.
  • S
    To get to the other side!

But seriously, regarding climate change, I'm pretty cynical. I think that it may already be too late, and there's nothing I can really do. We need big change fast, and I just can't see that happening. Capitalism is a giant obstacle, and too many people are under its spell, and those who aren't are relatively powerless.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.