• Shawn
    Witnessing someone is something that is very dear to humans. When Plato witnessed Socrates put on trial, treated unfairly, and even humiliated, then put to death by his own hand, he could witness no more, and some change has to happen. But, this goes to even mundane human affairs, and what I'm trying to imply here that through the act of witnessing a Buddhist monk immolate themselves or even feedback from an unhappy customer we express at the very least some sense of care or compassion for the other person or in many cases compassion for oneself.

I've been struggling becoming more compassionate, that's the final stone left for me to lift before I can claim to have witnessed my own rebirth.

Yet, compassion cannot be willed into existence. Buddhists say that it must be cultivated. So, how do you go about cultivating compassion when Plato witnessed the biased and incompetent people accusing his dearest friend and companion to death?

How does a Buddhist approach the problem of ignorance, evil, deceitfulness in the world? Surely, it must be witnessed for one to truly become enlightened.
  • Judaka

I don't know how witnessing helps anything, compassion doesn't come from recognition of the negative, it comes from a value held in the subject, either intrinsic, presently or in their possible future. If you don't have that, you don't get compassion. That's what people need to be convinced of, to prepare them for the systematic harm of others, that the victims have no value.

Interpretations of value of any kind are the impetus for compassion - for a Buddhist, I suppose that reincarnation gives all living beings value and that's the basis for their compassion.
  • Shawn
    I don't know how witnessing helps anything, compassion doesn't come from recognition of the negative,Judaka

How could this be true? Every wrong has to be madeth right, so sayeth the Lord.
  • Nils Loc
    Hypothetical Scenario:

A newborn baby miraculously appears in Wallows room, with a notarized birth certificate legally confirming that Wallows is the biological father of a miracle ( a child from nowhere). Wallows also knows somehow by intuition that he is this child (this will be a reincarnation of Wallows).

Given the Wallows of habit, given that Wallows likely knows himself by some measure, does Wallows raise the child as his own or does he file for adoption? What is the compassionate thing to do?
  • unenlightened
    Compassion is an overflowing; it comes from an abundant fullness. The gritted teeth of will, nor the urgent need of inadequacy can hope to reach it, but rather need the compassion of others.

The struggle is the need is the emptiness.

does Wallows raise the child as his own or does he file for adoption?Nils Loc

Poor reincarnated Wallows, looks like he's buggered either way.
  • Shawn
    Given the Wallows of habit, given that Wallows likely knows himself by some measure, does Wallows raise the child as his own or does he file for adoption? What is the compassionate thing to do?Nils Loc

I would name either @Nils Loc or @unenlightened his Godfather. But, since unenlightened is tired of llfe, I might choose @schopenhauer1 or @darthbarracuda as substitute or surrogate fathers, since they seem more of a man than what I am.

Hope you had a giggle.
  • Nils Loc
    Hope you had a giggle.Wallows

I'm somewhat serious about the scenario. It's not funny at all.

I too am Wallows (any Wallows), and I will raise him by raising myself.
  • Shawn
    Poor reincarnated Wallows, looks like he's buggered either way.unenlightened

See, what unenelightened is telling us here is that I belong with the child protection agency. I don't know how to take care of myself.

Imagine my avatar stranded in the middle of the Marine Abbyss drowning down. That's where I am since I'm made of metal, it's pretty hard to swim.
  • Shawn
    I too am Wallows, and I will raise him by raising myself.Nils Loc

But, I've been lost in some dark and dank forest easting some strange mushrooms. You wouldn't want that.

All this neglect, oppression, abandonment, is creating a @Bitter Crank out of me.
  • BC
    "You will see more before you see less!" @Bitter Crank said, obscurely. Or did he mean "you will see less and then you will see more!"? I don't know. It's all too mystically cloudy with heavy rain expected during the rush hour.
  • Baden

You become what you do. Act compassionate towards little potential-orphan Wallows and both of you will know compassion. (But don't forget to (metaphorically) kick his ass when he's being a dick too).
  • Shawn
    You become what you do. Be compassionate to little potential-orphan Wallows and both of you will know compassion. (But don't forget to (metaphorically) kick his ass when he's being a dick too though).Baden

Baden, should be orphan-Wallows father.

Hear hear.
  • Shawn
    I made some rice. It's was a little to oily but tasted good. Now trying to sleep.
  • I like sushi
    Frist step would be to disband from the buddhist doctrine (which ever you presume to the “true buddhist doctrine”).

Probably not what you want to hear, but you’re asking for opinions and that is mine.

Good luck :)
  • Shawn

Hmm, a difficult situation. I have come as close to bliss and tranquility as I could possibly have by staying on the seabed since I'm a metal exoskeleton and cant swim really well. The lack of oxygen is redundant because I'm powered by something else, kryptonite actually.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.