• charles ferraro
    A three-dimensional space surrounds me. Using my senses, I can perceive a wide range of different entities which are situated in and distributed throughout this space in all directions. I can, if I wish, focus my attention on individual entities within this space while simultaneously ignoring others. I can investigate each entity from an unending number of frames-of-reference which consist of combinations of the entity’s different facets and of my different points-of-view. This can be done on both a micro- and macroscopic level and it can be done from a common-sense point of view or from a scientific point of view. I can also investigate any relationships that hold between and among such entities.

I perceive the entities by using my senses but I cannot perceive any purported “raw” sense data, “raw” sense impressions, “raw” sense qualities, or “raw” ideas of sensation that exist in a manner that is isolated or separated from the existence of the perceived entities.

I can only perceive entities in three-dimensional space which always consist only of completely integrated sensory information.

Certainly, I can hypothesize the isolated existence of something called “raw” sensory data. In my mind, I can abstract “raw” sensory data from the perceived entities, but I have never and will never be able to perceive or experience in isolation the existence of the “raw” sensory data that I abstract.

So, if what I have just described to be the case is the case, then can it be argued convincingly that this abstract, isolated, sense-data based starting point of British Empiricism did not provide a veridical foundation for the epistemological investigations pursued by Locke, Berkeley, and Hume?

Like to know what you think about this.
  • Echarmion
    So, if what I have just described to be the case is the case, then can it be argued convincingly that this abstract, isolated, sense-data based starting point of British Empiricism did not provide a veridical foundation for the epistemological investigations pursued by Locke, Berkeley, and Hume?charles ferraro

Could you elaborate on why you think abstract, isolated "raw" sense data is the foundation (or part of it) of British empiricism? Of course the concept of sense data is part of that philosophy, but you seem to be getting at the question of whether raw sense data is real and not just an idea.

It's difficult to see how there could not be raw sense data, given that there is processed sense data. But even if we treat it as an unknown, it could still support the conclusion that our experiences are based not just on data, but also in constructions.
  • Valentinus

If I understand your point correctly, I would say that the British blokes agreed with Aristotle that the nature of perception works by not being a conscious experience in itself. In Aristotle's terms, the object of perception can become what it is in your presence because the underlying process gets off the stage.
    I guess that in this regard, "empiricism" wants to look behind the curtain at the wizard show.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.