• Filipe
    Time Paradox is one of the most comum things out there, I am not sure if it is because we are such young as a species of because time itself is a unimaginable dimension to us 3D beings.

I am not the first one to propose this and I am sure that I am not gonna be the last but enough excuses let start with the paradox.

We have today that the guy that created the Idea of what we have today as the internet was Leonard Kleinrock if somehow we managed to go back in time and we encouter Leonard and after a few drinks we explaned to him what is the internet and based on our conversation he wrote the article that describe the ideia of "internet"... based on that who created the internet?

When we put like this is clear to understand that time is not something that can be altered because than the internet would only exist because we went back on time but even after this is impossible to anwser the question.. Who created the internet?
  • wax
    well even if one could time travel, I guess you wouldn't be able to impart your knowledge to an inventor.

You might, however, be able to go back in time and try to kill Hitler, and fail, but in the process really piss him off, to the extent that he forms the Third Reich.
  • T Clark
    When we put like this is clear to understand that time is not something that can be altered because than the internet would only exist because we went back on time but even after this is impossible to anwser the question.. Who created the internet?Filipe

You do realize this is fiction, right?
  • Filipe
    All paradoxs are fiction it is just interesting to think about it, but at the same it implicates some incredible insights on multi verso and the expation of all things.
  • Filipe
    I share your beliefs, time is unstoppable and it already considers any "time adventures" that may happen.
  • wax
    one problem with time travel could be called 'the carbon problem'...which is that a guy goes back in time 50 years, and while there breaths out many molecules of co2, which then enter the carbon cycle and end up in some wheat that gets turned into bread that the guy eats 50years later, so these carbon atoms are in a non ending cycle, so where would they have come from?

I do believe that information can travel back and forth through time though.
  • Terrapin Station
    It just underscores that the idea of time travel is incoherent.
  • Filipe
    So was flying on 1900 and we landed on the moon in 1969...
  • Terrapin Station
    So was flying on 1900 and we landed on the moon in 1969...Filipe

The notion of flying was never incoherent, lol.
  • Filipe
    yes it was, tried and falied thousants of times throughout history, it became pointless, technology is exponential and I personaly belive in the Technological singularity and I belive that things like time and space will be one of the "final barriers"
  • Terrapin Station

Right, don't worry that you don't understand the concept of incoherence, just double down and keep arguing.
  • unenlightened
    One merit of this hypothesis is that it provides a neat explanation of why we do not see aliens and alien technology in the universe; as soon as they develop the tech, they all go off to live in the good old days.
  • T Clark
    One merit of this hypothesis is that it provides a neat explanation of why we do not see aliens and alien technology in the universe; as soon as they develop the tech, they all go off to live in the good old days.unenlightened

To me, the greatest argument against time travel is that we've never seen any time travelers.

By the way - best time travel movie ever - Primer. Made for $7,000. Used to be on NetFlix. Don't know if it still is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.