• Nort Fragrant
    Enlightened !

With Humans onward quest to get answers, we pump Billions into finding those answers. ( Underground colliders ) . ( space experiments )

Let me advance the fictitious clock to a time when we have got all the answers to our plethora of Questions.

What will all those big heads do then?

Will all the Famine have been resolved?
    Will Greed be a thing of ancient history?
    Will sex still be at the forefront of all humans thinking?

No longer can we use the excuse “I don’t know “

Our purpose will be lost, our need to know gone!

May I suggest we stop looking for answers, and begin living again.

Stop competing, and start helping.

Satisfaction is the one and only Answer!

Be content and happy that you have helped another, with no reward demanded.

You may find Satisfaction is a lot more than you think it is!
  • andrewk
    May I suggest we stop looking for answers, and begin living again.Nort Fragrant
    What about those people for whom the essence and zest of life is looking for answers? What will they do?
  • ssu
    Let me advance the fictitious clock to a time when we have got all the answers to our plethora of Questions.Nort Fragrant
    How could we get all the answers when new questions emerge all the time as the World transforms (and we transform it) all the time.

And how about our urge to improve things? You think that will stop? That engineers will just one day come to a conclusion to say: "OK, that was that! Time to find a new occupation."
  • Paul
    If you'd rather just live without looking for answers on how to live, then certainly famine, greed and sex instincts will dominate life. If you'd rather go beyond the stone age, then that came about and continues to come about thanks to all the people who are looking vigorously for answers to anything and everything.
  • Nort Fragrant
    Once again the stick is grasped at the incorrect end !

When all is known, the Engineers will need not ask how?

My point is all the answers will one day be known and as some have pointed out what then!

By not looking for answers we can prolong the path we walk. And thus have the time to help others, the quest for knowledge is but a distraction.

The less I know, the happier I am!
  • Heracloitus
    My point is all the answers will one day be known and as some have pointed out what then!Nort Fragrant

Wrong. You see, the thing about certainty (having all the answers) is that it closes the future. If we had all the answers we would cease to exist. A being that knows all ceases to become.

The less I know, the happier I am!Nort Fragrant

You are not enlightened. Hate to break it to you.
  • praxis
    The less I know, the happier I am!Nort Fragrant

I can agree that you'd be happier if you didn't know this.
  • Nort Fragrant
    I was once Enlightened, and now forgotten, and thus am getting happier but the minute.

Regressing to that point of not knowing anything, Wow I will be so happy then! and will not even know it!
  • Anthony
    Our species specializes in framing everything as a problem, which it confusedly likes to call problem solving as though it were smart or virtuous (i.e., in posing death as a problem or disease, transhumanists have unwittingly admitted life is a problem). Somehow, a new problem always replaces the old one (personally, I think it's because scientists and technologists don't know when to quit, but the militant spirit of conquest is overbearing in other professions as well, like business and war). Why is this, unless of course, h. sapiens is a problem generator because it can't solve itself. It's like the difference between curiosity and wonderment... Being curious about something means you are burning for an answer, as though the existence of the mystery of it can't be or you may be injured by it. Wonderment, however, is relishing in the refreshment of mystery, like being able to see everything you see as though for the first time. Wonder beats curiosity (in increasing enlightenment) every time. More, even from an analytical perspective, wonder prevents formation of fixed notions, which tend to stymie understanding or being able to see a new facet of a subject. When people are curious about something, once the answer is found, they become close-minded, playing with an unshuffled deck.
  • I like sushi

Basically you’re saying there is more to life than intellectual pursuits, correct? That is the only sense I can make of the OP if I’m generous.
  • Nort Fragrant
    It may well be that I am insanely stupid, and thus able to deduce the riddle that others have as yet not solved.
    To render ones thinking to an almost stagnate state can open one up to more avenues to stumble through. !

Random non regimented thoughts will coerce a path as yet not devised. Resulting in bucket loads of drivel, to then one day produce a profound new discovery. (maybe)
  • RegularGuy
    Did someone open up the gates of Winnebago Mental Health Institution?
  • praxis
    Know What?Nort Fragrant

I’d say but then you’d know and I don’t want to make you unhappy.
  • I like sushi
    It should be noted that billions and billions more are pumped into selling/advertising food that reducing human health ... a few measly billion aside for scientific research, that helps everyone, is hardly a ‘waste of resources’ given that the research helps us manage our resources more efficiently and increases yields.

Of course, feel free to sit under a tree chanting “Om” just don’t bother us thanks ;)
  • Nort Fragrant
    All this money spent on advertising is mainly by the hand of those that buy the products. Inadvertently lured in by there wish to be better somehow!
    As for opening a Mental institution, we all could be labeled with one kind of mental affliction, So any one thinking they are Ok needs to see someone!
    Now back to the topic,

To stop questing all the answers, ( Wonder ) is indeed youthful once more.

To except something as it is, for what it is, is enough. We need not know how large, heavy, fast it is, It is what it is and thats that. A child seldom asks how many horse power or Kilowatts an Engine Has. It sees the vehicle pass, and thats it. Wow. Then moves on to the next wonderfull thing.

I used to build very large obscenely expensive luxury Yachts, they looked magnificent. Yet the one question asked time and again was, how powerful are the engines. This question matters not! It is for the entity irrelevant. The yacht as a whole is what it is, it performs. To look in wonder at the creation is the essence, not the statistics. Statistics are for lateral thinkers who seldom comprehend wonder, there wanting the predictable answer.

My point is to stop fussing around with answers and enjoy the entity. What ever it may be!

The Universe is the universe, How fat, fast, smelly it is, is a waist of time.
  • I like sushi

Why are you here then? Why bother with all this “fussing around”? Do you doubt your own point or are you hear to recruit/convert others?

Do childen never ask “Why?”

Again, if you’re simply saying “intellectualism” is not all there is then I agree. Some are more intellectually inclined than others, and some are more curious than others. I don’t see why you would even suggest that people shouldn’t be either curious or intellectual and find yourself posting on a philosophy forum? Do you see why I find this a curious thing to do?
  • Heracloitus
    To except something as it is, for what it is, is enough. We need not know how large, heavy, fast it is, It is what it is and thats that. A child seldom asks how many horse power or Kilowatts an Engine Has. It sees the vehicle pass, and thats it. Wow. Then moves on to the next wonderfull thing.Nort Fragrant

This is completely wrong. I am a father of two children. My eldest is 4 years old and I can tell you that there is not a day that goes by when he does not ask questions about the nature of things. Children are curious but its usually drilled out of them by annoyed parents or teachers.
  • Nort Fragrant
    Asking a question about how to lace your shoes up is understandable, the cost is not noticeable.

However to spend billions on answering a question about the origins of the universe all seems excessively out of proportion.
    And when the answer is known, are we going to muck about with that too, and stuff that up as well?
    We are inherently unsatisfied with what we have and do our utmost to change it. It’s working out pretty good so far! The planet is under siege, the atmosphere is suffering, and we are multiplying no matter what the consequence.
    We have nothing in place to control our numbers, just willy nilly pop out more humans. (shrugs shoulder, anyone care? ) Yes, just about every one care’s, but nothing is dun.

I need a licence to drive my vehicle , yet not a licence to make more humans. I can if she agrees keep making more mouths to feed. And no one will stop me! I chose not too, I think I am sensible. But there are countless humans around who are in a bad way because there is no control.

Knowing the answer as to what sparked the universe, is a bit extravagant when you look at all the suffering.. Those clever thinkers ought to ponder how best to sort our selves out first, then and only then work out where the plughole is.
    Yes it was through a hole in (Q) that the Universe poured through!
    Big Bang, what tosh.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.