• Shawn
    Chrysippus of Soli is said to have written 700 works, mostly lost throughout the ages. He is sometimes remembered for passing away in a fit of laughter over-seeing a donkey eating figs. The sight of donkey eating figs was so delightful to the Stoic philosopher that he exclaimed that one should give the donkey some wine to wash down the figs, upon which, he laughed until he died.

There is something very memorable and comedic about this story. I can't quite put my finger on what can be gleaned from the moral of this story... Perhaps, that life has its own way of finishing a story or ending one's journey that one would have not had anticipated. Or some other moral can be gleaned from this story.

Thoughts?
  • Deleteduserrc
    This is genuinely hilarious, unlike most ancient jokes. It's like the opposite of Nietzsche going crazy with sorrow after seeing a horse getting beat. It's a much better story.
  • Deleteduserrc
    I think it works better if you don't try to glean a moral from it. It's just a really funny way to die.
  • Sir2u
    the moral of this storyWallows

Keep on laughing so that you can die happy.
  • Shawn

Yes, the donkey could have cared less.
  • S
    This is genuinely hilarious, unlike most ancient jokes. It's like the opposite of Nietzsche going crazy with sorrow after seeing a horse getting beat. It's a much better story.csalisbury

Imagine if the horse was being beaten, and then Nietzsche stepped in and objected, and then out of nowhere, an old man threw some figs in Nietzsche's face.

Hahahahaha-- :death:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet