• 0 thru 9
    People are like cheeses; the good ones get better with age, but the bad ones get worse.

In times of stability, the wisdom of the old is a valuable resource, but in times of rapid change, the wisdom of the old is more so out of date and thus foolishness.

In times of chaos, the only wisdom is neither old nor young and is not founded on knowledge at all, but on applied ignorance.
    unenlightened

:up: Yes. And I would say that whatever amount of wisdom a person has managed to cultivate, has been hard won, has been acquired by swimming against the stream, so to speak. Sometimes, it seems that wisdom has been driven underground, scattered to the winds. I would dearly like to believe that our culture (as a whole, if one can imagine it to be a singular entity) is even trying to follow the “way of wisdom”. However, it seems “the path of power” is the broad freeway that our culture is cruising on. For example, the message of Christ being co-opted (perverted is probably a more accurate term) to be the sanctified and divine right of Eminent Domain, which now encompasses the entire world... and beyond.

Fictional characters can perhaps help one visualize the scenario. I imagine Obi-Won Kenobi sneaking through the Death Star, having less of a chance than David did against Goliath in his attempt to throw a monkey wrench into the machine. Frodo and Sam going into hellish Mordor, climbing Mount Doom to destroy the ring of power. Or as Jesus said, “I am sending you like lambs into a pack of wolves. So be as wise as snakes and as innocent as doves.”
  • 0 thru 9
    On the other hand, a male becomes more sanguine and more or less risk-averse due to lower testosterone levels as one age's. Food and comfort become the priorities to be attained and maintained.

Out of the chaos of age and development some equilibrium has been found by the time a person approaches their later years.
    Wallows

One could think of the figure of Santa Claus (apart from the obvious Christmas connotations) to be a kind of ideal older man. Generous, jolly, wise, and relatively healthy... if perhaps a tad chunky. As opposed to the archetypes of Ebineezer Scrooge, Mr. Potter (from “It’s a Wonderful Life”), and Montgomery Burns (from The Simpsons). These cautionary (and occasionally darkly comic) characters represent the bitter and greedy shell of a person that one probably would rather avoid dealing with or turning into.
  • Shawn

I have a lot of respect for the elderly. It doesn't phase me if the person came from the upper echelons of society or even how they got so old. Every elderly person has some wisdom to share in my humble opinion.
  • S
    It is taught from a young age that one ought to respect their elders. A grandmother could be a surrogate mother as the instinctual urge of motherhood never dissipates with age. Think about that for a second and think about maybe calling your grandmother...Wallows

Think about the fact that not all grandmothers fit the stereotype of a kind and mothering old lady.

My question is that why does Western society display a deficit in the process of respect and regard for their elders?Wallows

Respect should be given when it is deserved, irrespective of age.
  • Shawn
    Think about the fact that not all grandmothers fit the stereotype of a kind and mothering old lady.S

Oh, OK. What's your point?

Respect should be given when it is deserved, irrespective of age.S

Same question.
  • S
    Oh, OK. What's your point?Wallows

That you're biased in favour of the elderly due to a stereotype.

Same question.Wallows

The point was selfexplanatory.
  • Shawn
    That you're biased in favour of the elderly due to a stereotype.S

See my comment here: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/264268
  • S

Yes, that's another example of what I said. And?

You're biased in favour of the elderly, and I should care about that because...?
  • Shawn

Example of being biased towards the elderly or what?
  • S
    Example of being biased towards the elderly or what?Wallows

Sorry, but what's your point here beyond expressing your biased admiration of the elderly? Is there one? Or is that it? If it's that we should follow suit, then no. I decline.
  • Shawn
    Sorry, but what's your point here beyond expressing your biased admiration of the elderly? Is there one? Or is that it? If it's that we should follow suit, then no. I decline.S

Well, I don't see how you can be pejorative towards the elderly. Maybe it's true that not all old people are mature, so I guess you can be happy in some strange sense about that.
  • S
    Well, I don't see how you can be pejorative towards the elderly. Maybe it's true that not all old people are mature, so I guess you can be happy in some strange sense about that.Wallows

I try to avoid making those kind of generalisations about the elderly, the youthful, men, women, gay people, black people...
  • Shawn
    I try to avoid making those kind of generalisations about the elderly, the youthful, men, women, gay people, black people...S

Good for you. :blush:
  • S
    Good for you. :blush:Wallows

Yes, it really is. You should take a leaf out of my book.
  • Shawn
    Yes, it really is. You should take a leaf out of my book.S

Haha, me me me. Me too!
  • S
    Haha, me me me. Me too!Wallows

Respect your elder. I am older and wiser than you.

And better looking.
  • 0 thru 9
    @Wallows
    Gosh, but the thread police are strict 'round these parts. Good thing you weren't caught with a dangling participle. Just remember that you have the right to remain silent until you speak to your lawyer. :zip:
  • Shawn
    Respect your elder. I am older and wiser than you.

And better looking.
    S

Me myself and I!
  • Shawn

It's good to see you round these parts. :blush:
  • S
    Me myself and I!Wallows

My three favourite words. They sound better coming from me.
  • Shawn
    My three favourite words. They sound better coming from me.S

Haha, but it isn't all about you, dummy, haha! Be more mature.
  • 0 thru 9

Thanks sonny! But you're gonna have to speak up. Can't hear you cuz of the TV... ( sorry, bad grampa joke)
  • Shawn

Tell me one of yer stories Pops. When you were all young and handsome. :cool:
  • S
    Haha, but it isn't all about you, dummy, haha! Be more mature.Wallows

Nothing in excess. Maturity has its place, as does humour, as does wit. I like to spice things up with a combination of the aforementioned. Only a dummy would confuse which is which.
  • Shawn

I thought your jokes didn't need so much explaining. Gosh...
  • S
    I thought your jokes didn't need so much explaining. Gosh...Wallows

What jokes? I really am better looking.
  • Shawn
    What jokes? I really am better looking.S

Oh, okay. Whatever floats your boat.
  • S
    Oh, okay. Whatever floats your boat.Wallows

Do you know what really floats my boat? Me, myself and I.
  • Shawn
    Do you know what really floats my boat? Me myself and I.S

A rising tide lifts all boats.
  • 0 thru 9

Sorry, can't remember that far back. Also can't remember what this thread is about. I recall it being rather interesting...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.