• wax
    If you take a neutron star on its own, I posit that the curve associated with its mass could be measured as an angle.
    curvature.jpg

Here, it's total addition to the curvature of space is angle (a).

Now if you make a model where there are three such neutron stars, set in a closed but unbound system, than all their angles must add up to 360degrees.

curvature2.jpg

The locations of matter are associated with the presence of space curvature, but note that there has to be curvature, due to it being a closed system..So to me the relationship between curvature and the presence of matter is unclear.....does matter curve space, or does space create matter.....they are certainly associated with each other, but the root cause of both might be that there is a closed system.

What determines the locations of matter, and curvature must have a cause somehow...the distribution of curvature isn't even.

One thing I think looking at the second diagram is that (a) which is set further away from (b) and (c) seems to be set in a deeper curvature....maybe this causes (b) and (c) to move apart(ie perhaps 'falling' towards (a)).....the system might tend to move towards a state where the curvature is more evenly distributed then.

Maybe the shortest path to a more evenly distributed curvature is for the whole system to expand, while you also have more localised movement.

If this model represents the actual universe, then that would mean that Hubble's Constant will not be the same at all locations of the system...Hubble's curve would be proportionate to the level of local matter/curvature, compared with the curvature/matter presence of a universe with an even distribution.
  • wax
    another thing I was just thinking:

maybe not all curvature is associated with matter. Maybe there is a lot of curvature left over, after matter has been created...this curvature may still end up associated with the location of matter...maybe the left over curvature gathers around matter, and its associated curvature.

This could be an explanation for what is know as Dark Matter.

I read that where as a galaxy might exist as some kind of plane, that the dark matter was supposed to be more spherical, or its effects suggested this.

Maybe if dark matter were really just left-over curvature of a closed but unbounded 4-space/system...then it would exist in this way, more spread out into a sphere in the locations of galaxies.
  • Terrapin Station
    If you take a neutron star on its own, I posit that the curve associated with its mass could be measured as an angle.wax

What would justify that we're not just making up a story, so to speak, in this? In other words, it seems like an arbitrary model.
  • tim wood
    then all their angles must add up to 360 degrees.wax
    On the surface of a sphere, the angles of a triangle sum to greater than 180 degrees. On other curved surfaces, less. I therefore view with some suspicion the idea that in space any collection of angles must add up to one particular amount, at least without some hefty qualification.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.