• Txastopher
    Could you point out in that Wiki article what you find so sinister?Akanthinos

Nothing. I included it in order to show that this is not just another 'Day of Whatever', but a day on which there are significant strikes and demonstrations around the globe.

As for the opposition being strongest, you just showed your colours. Feminism is not in opposition to the male population.Akanthinos
    &
    Feminism is in opposition to the ideology (if you can even call it that) of patriarchal control and to the structural conditions of women's biopolitical serfdom.Akanthinos

You'll need to explain how these are different.

Once again, I will state that I don't oppose feminism and I agree that much work still needs to be done, but less so in the developed world, and if we're going have coordinated strikes in developed countries, perhaps it might be an idea to protest against gross inequality instead of female inequality.
  • I like sushi

Well put. I think protesting is ineffective anyway and I guess we can hope that such demonstrations (no matter how deluded - and some are) do at least make some headway into countries that suffer gross inequality to the detriment of women.

As for the wiki article the walk out by women was a little ott. The “gender pay gap” was destroyed and then some of the fringe of the feminist movement decided to shift the statistics to represent inequalities in income based on average yearly income without taking into account job choice, hours worked per week or overtime.

I did recently find a great discussion on this subject that was very broad covering what I would call the more “extreme” ends of each argument. I’ll post here if anyone is interested?
  • Akanthinos

Seriously, you need to ask yourself what motivates this 'at-all-cost" defensiveness you have against feminism. Protest in developped countries don't have to limit themselves to the context of those countries. Support protests like this happens all the time.

And one day a year doesnt steal much attention from other social issues. If americans, for example, never tackle or seem to protest much the conditions of gross inequality they find themselves in, its not because feminismis stealing the spotlight, but because americans have been fed pro-capitalist propaganda for the last century at least.
  • Txastopher
    Seriously, you need to ask yourself what motivates this 'at-all-cost" defensiveness you have against feminism.Akanthinos

I've asked myself and the answer is that I don't have an 'at-all-cost" defensiveness against feminism.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.