• yatagarasu

"But, like, I really love coconuts and found them first!"-Thurston Howell III
  • I like sushi
    People tend to argue from extremes because its easier. Others use usch hyperbole to highlight a point rather than declare it as absolute - some mistaken one way of expressing an idea for the other, usually the former as it’s the easier argument to deal with.

The choice of words used by the person talked about in the OP is not likely the best choice. I would’ve prefered to have heard “consumerism” is the ideology being pushed. Obviously consuming things is necessary for life and having reserves is practical preparation for the unknown future. The consumer marketplace feeds people with ore and more things they apparently “need” and this is certainly an ideology being pushed to exploit this underlying human drive to “prepare for the unknown”. Sometimes we’re duped by this and other times we actually make damn good use of things we never had any use of a decade or a century ago.

The complaints will remain the same. Either we haev too much or too little and often to forcefully rectify this apparent “imbalance” means others, or ourselves, will have to suffer the burden of change somewhere along the road.
  • MrSpock
    You're right to some extent. Capitalism not only created the sought after goods, but also a great number of those that were not needed by anyone. People collected these unnecessary things because they "fell ill for such collection".
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.